Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 41 Packard Coupe brake problems.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3speedoverdrive, Feb 13, 2019.

1. 3speedoverdrive

3speedoverdrive

Just finishing up my 41 110 Packard coupe project, went for a trial spin after pulling the tired flat 6 and replacing it with a 350 Olds and discovered the brakes are not even marginal for a quick stop. Currently has the stock 11x1.75" drums all around. The master has been changed from the old frame mount to a firewall mount dual cylinder 15/16" diameter. I've pulled all four drums, linings looked new, so I just adjusted the shoes for a slight drag. The shoes don't look like they have been "bedded" in, could that be the problem? Would going to larger or smaller diameter master help? Is there a disc set-up that could be adapted for the front brakes on this car? Or maybe a wider shoe set-up?
    Also on a different note, what is the largest size tire that would work for the 4.5" wide front wheels. Has any run 205/75R15 on a 4.5 rim? I know everybody likes pictures to go along with a post, so here are a few of my project. threequatr41front.jpg 41insidedash.jpg engine41drivers.jpg front41nose.jpg DSCN9424.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.