Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 Ford pickup finally got it home and pictures pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by joel, Jul 19, 2017.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got me Sam. I'm picking up a new bed from MW Early Ford at the Kalamazoo show ; I'm going to take my convertible to sell and they are bringing the bed and a couple of repair panels. So, if I bust ass on the coupe until then, I may be able to put the new bed on before snow starts.

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. Great find. I like your plan.

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a spare wiring cover for the firewall and after some re-arranging it got it screwed on.
    IMG_0678 (800x600).jpg
    I'm waiting on the rubber hose that goes in front of the sediment bowl; then I can fire it up. Tomorrow I'm working on the car.

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Current status of the truck.............. drivable.
    IMG_0681 (800x600).jpg

1Nimrod, Thor1 and Early Ironman like this.
  6. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will wrap up the truck for now. I installed tube shocks on the back and re-routing the tailpipe was required. I had enough lying around to get over the axle but I'll have to get some bent to get out the back. My old bed is going to Kalamazoo to sell at the swap meet and I'm picking up a new one there.
    IMG_0682 (800x600).jpg IMG_0683 (800x599).jpg IMG_0685 (800x600).jpg
    I went for a short drive among the public after adjusting the brakes. There is still plenty to do, but I am back on the coupe now.

1Nimrod, The 39 guy and Thor1 like this.
  7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted to drive the truck to lunch last Friday, so I rigged the filler pipe with some lock wire. I got to lunch and back , but the lock wire was not doing it. I had painted the bed where the rivets went so the next step was to start assembling the bed. my logic was/is that instead of fabbing a temporary brace for the gas tank fill pipe, I should put the bed together. I could then re install the fenders and thus .... the fill pipe.;)
    Here are dome pix. IMG_0706 (800x600).jpg IMG_0707 (800x748).jpg IMG_0708 (492x800).jpg

8. Isn't there some sort of cutout for the gas fill in the lower panel of the bed? Can't remember ....

9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes there is; it is smaller than on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1Nimrod and Fortyfordcmm like this.
  10. Gotcha - thanks. I just didn't see it in the photos ....

11. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

No cut out in bed just fender, rubber gasket there then hard pipe to rubber union at tank.

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a picture of my bed side.[​IMG]
    The tank outlet doesn't have much clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod and LOU WELLS like this.
  13. WP38

WP38

Looks great

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

. That is what plan I would have for it . Enjoy the fun of the hobbie and owning it

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm trying to keep it driveable but some things needed to be fixed. I'm working on welding the rear corners, then I can hang the fenders and drive it.[​IMG][​IMG]

1Nimrod, John Heckman and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. albertaboy

albertaboy

Following along. Mine is a long ways from there. Thanks for posting your progress.

17. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Joel, I like the way the truck is coming out. I noticed the oak floor had cut outs by the wheel wells, I Used Mac's in MO. for my wood with SS strips and there were no cut outs, I also used hidden hinges with spring loaded pins and added SS cables with PVC covers and Heim ends instead of chains.
    See Picture Suggest a little metal work on the gas tank filler notch to make it easier to install rubber connector to the fill tube in the driver's side fender to prevent chafing
    Geoford41

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My kit is basically a Northern Classic Trucks unit supplied by Midwest Early Ford and the boards in the pix are "spacers" and the real floor sits on top of them. It appears that Macs is the only one that makes the steel floor ( as original ). I'm just learning this stuff; my original bed was so rough that I didn't know how it is supposed to be.
    Good idea on the filler notch. I thought I'd loosen the tank bolts and see if I can get a better alignment. I just finished the welding required on the rear of the bed. Next is some modification on the hinges to improve the tailgate fit. IMG_0718 (600x800).jpg IMG_0719 (600x800).jpg
    I'm not going to mess with the bed wood now; I just want fenders and lights for now. My coupe is yelling at me from the other room.

1Nimrod and TomT like this.
  19. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

What coupe? You have coupe too?....;)

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a few hours away from having the truck in a stable, usable condition and I have a pair of rear fenders on the way from Carpenter for the coupe. I just ran out of patience for working on the fenders. Thanks for following Sam.

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Joel, I just used the wood with SS strips, Yes a stocker used those boards with a steel floor over it and spot welded in, I like the wood exposed and it I carried anything I just threw in a trimmed down 4 t. X 8 ft. 3/4" plywood, worked great hauling Everthing!
    George

1Nimrod and Big mike 1968 like this.
  22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking about painting the strips the body color tinted bed liner and maybe the sides from the break down. The wood will be spar urethane.

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's wrapped up for this year and raining outside so no driving today ( no back glass or door glass).[​IMG][​IMG]

1Nimrod, TomT, Big mike 1968 and 3 others like this.
  24. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I am just a little bit jealous Joel and happy for you! Hope the truck gives years of fun miles and smiles!

Big mike 1968 and joel like this.
  25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I said I was done messing with this truck, but running the battery flat coming home from a club meeting followed by running out of gas has kept me messing with it. Long story short, generator needed a new bushing and the regulator was not set to high enough output and probably was not polarized. The fuel problem was the wrong sending unit and the gauge wasn't working properly. New sending unit and nos guage fixed that.
    I'm on a break from sanding on the coupe ( I've had a lot of them lately ) and felt like catching up. I also put some enamel on the truck vent and a new seal so that hole is closed and I installed the rear window.
    My plans are to change the front cross member, re-build the trans and put the Columbia in; this is after the coupe is on the road.

26. Love your pickup - I will get to mine once my 5 window is done ....

For a 40/41 pickup bed cover I cut down a heavy rubber mat from a Chevy short bed pickup. Things won't slide around too much on it so that's good to eliminate bedside dings from the inside ....

27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good idea Tom. I don’t plan on hauling gravel or anything else like that, but it is a truck

1Nimrod, Big mike 1968 and nunattax like this.
  28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Joel you are probably tired of that old truck by now...... You should probably sell it to me....yes?:rolleyes:

1Nimrod, Big mike 1968 and 1great40 like this.
  29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not yet Sam, but I’ll keep you in mind

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

joel would you sell me some energy? im about a quart short!:rolleyes: