Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 Ford Frame Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PFF, Nov 13, 2010.

1. PFF

PFF
    from UK

So I picked up my latest project a 41 coupe that the PO had channeled 12" over a Mazda truck chassis.
    [​IMG]

After a bit of thought I realized this wasn't going to work for me, finding a stock 41 frame in the UK is just about impossible so I decide to make a frame.
    Thanks to Tommy on the HAMB I had a set of plans with the dimensions and reckoned I could work it out.
    I'm going for bags with a Jag front clip and Chevy rear so to start I got a Jag clip.
    The first problem was buying it blind of a so called trusted trader, normal story I sent cash he jerked me around, when I finally got the front end it had been torched out of the car was rusty and had a bit of accident damage.. not happy.
    [​IMG]

The first thing was to remove the springs and drill out the spot welds that hold the spring retainers in to the frame, this will allow me to fit the bags.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once out I found a bit of rot so this was repaired.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I placed the clip at the correct position for a 114" wheel base then started to work out the front of the frame.
    I ordered 2.5 x 5" box for the main rails
    following Zibos superb build on his 40 so taking the cue from him I started to lay out my frame in wood so I could work out the cut angles.

[​IMG]

I don't have a jig but used a bit of RSJ to clamp the parts to when tacking and welding, worked OK for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk316/PFFNSRA/DSC02964.jpg[/IMG]

I Vd the sections and using a ratchet strap pulled these to the correct angle for the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the front was done I started on the rear kick, again using wood to work the angles I came up with this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PFF

PFF
    from UK

I then added the 2 main rails and welded these together. I placed them side by side only to find one was 5 degrees out at the front so I cut and welded it to get them level.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once done I added a front and middle crossmember, tacked in place then cross measured and checked the levels to get it all square before welding.

[​IMG]

Once the rails were done I dropped the intended small block and powerglide in place so I could see where the center cross member would go.

[​IMG]

Back to the wood patterns I then made both sides of the K

[​IMG]

With these welded together I cut 2 x 2 box to form the spacers.
    And welded the whole lot together.

[​IMG]

These were then welded in place and I added 2 upper sections and a cross piece, I will add another at the rear of the K member once I check where the prop lies.

[​IMG]

I had already cut the main floor the PO had welded in so just had to remove his boot floor so I could get the frame under the shell.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty pleased with progress this has taken me 2 weekends to get so far.
    Next up outriggers then running gear

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all on the HAMB for insperation...
    Cheers Pete

3. Congrats to your 41, I love those business coups. Looking forward to see more picks of this project, nice work on the frame.

Lars

4. ChrisBorsheim

ChrisBorsheim

Awesome work! Can't wait to see more!

5. koolkemp

koolkemp

Nice work I have always wanted to build a complete frame from scratch ...it will happen sooner or later , Zibos thread is what made me think about it too lol!

6. Road Oiler

Road Oiler

Who says you need a jig to build a frame. Nicely done. Looking forward to more build pics.

7. Looking good Pete

8. Looks real good......Keep posting