Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '41 Ford COE Build - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by flatheadV-8, Aug 1, 2017.

1. flatheadV-8

flatheadV-8
    from New York

Need some advice. I currently own the cab body of a ’41 Ford COE and planning on doing a resto/mod pickup project. As my first build it needs to be a budget build, (shoestring budget that is). My biggest decision is deciding on what chassis I should mount the cab. I have been informed that an early 1950’s Chevy chassis with rear coil overs and suspension from a late model Camaro/Nova could be a good solution. My problem is that if there is any sort of welding involved, at this point, I feel uncomfortable doing as I have no experience welding and do not want to make my first welds on a chassis. So, in order to get this project started I am interested in opinions/advice on what I could use for a chassis set up, (again on a budget). In addition, any additional comments regarding my planned build are appreciated.

2. There is no easy/bolt together solution. These type projects take a lot of fab/welding to complete.
    Maybe learn to weld first? Or find a friend who will weld for beer....

3. flatheadV-8

flatheadV-8
    from New York

I am not necessarily looking for an easy solution, just some good suggestions. I like yours regarding a friend who will weld for beer.....I do know one. I am generally pretty mechanical and want to learn to weld. I am just not comfortable with learning to weld on a chassis that I will be driving. Plus I am sure it would be advantageous to have the chassis welded on a frame table to keep everything straight and true.

4. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I would start on the bodywork required of the cab, while obtaining a 220 Mig welder and practice on the welding. Usually obtaining the services for beer, ends with a drunk friend who will screw up your project. You have to learn todo your own work or you will never be satisfied with the outcome.

5. What end result do you want? do you want real low ride? do you want more classic truck stance? What purpose for the COE when you are finished? To be able to really haul stuff in the bed or just small stuff with no real weight? What drivetrain are you going to use or planning? Dually or single rear?

Once you have some of these questions answered, it helps you figure out the chassis. In other words, if you want it low, than a chassis swap is the likely best method. Classic truck, then you can stay with stock frame and add later model axles. Be careful of track width for any frame or axle swaps, that 41 is fairly narrow. Don't fall for the Camaro subframe as the answer to all questions. Time spent with a tape measure and some careful observatios will help make better choices. The engine placement is a big deal in COEs, you already have a pretty cramped cab and a big engine cover does not help that.

Not the same as your 41, but my 49 Ford COE (see avatar) is on a later model GM 1-ton dually pickup chassis. I run a 350 SBC/T400, and the stock GM 14-bolt. Lot of suspension work and airbags. I can still haul serious loads, such as 25 railroad ties in one load, or multiple heavy car parts like engines, transmissions and rearends.

BTW, you don't need a frame table if you are not fabricating a frame from scratch.

6. flatheadV-8

flatheadV-8
    from New York

38...I definitely want something lower and more of a traditional pickup type stance. That is why I thought a 50's pickup frame could be a good option. I am looking for more of a grocery getter so light duty, not heavy duty and a single rear. I appreciate you giving me some things to think about. Greatest thing about this hobby is that people are willing to share their knowledge. I am going to keep researching and talking to more experienced builders. Also going to try and learn and do as much of mine own work as Coconuts mentioned. I am very particular about how I do things.