Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 41 flathead ford tri power

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustedorrotting, Dec 5, 2022.

1. I have an unusual 41 flathead v 8. I bought it supposedly rebuilt a long time ago. I have got it running only to find out more than 2.5 pounds of fuel pressure will over ride the seat in the carb and dilute the oil. Found out the hard way, isn't that always the way? While trying to get it to run right, I went back to basics and pulled the plugs and did a compression test. 165 to 175 per cylinder, pretty much even. All the vacuum I could get at idle was 13 inches. Maybe this was because of the diluted oil. I have made my living as a mechanic since 1970, starting on Fiats and ending with 747's and reassembled my friends 1934 Chevy Master sedan, so I am not without some skills and knowledge. The engine has 3 94's on an Edel brock aluminum manifold, a crab distributor, Offenhauser finned aluminum heads and tube headers. to make it simpler the secondary carbs are blocked off from air and fuel. The engine is apart to inspect the damage from the oil dilution. It's too cold to work in my unheated pole barn at the moment so I am trying to decide what's going on. I am going to go to Stromberg 97's if I can find one more to rebuild, have 2 already. when it gets warm enough, I will pull the heads and measure bore and stroke. There are no identifications on the cam. Imho this thing has been stroked and cammed. any thoughts?

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The compression reading indicates larger than stock displacement and properly fitted heads to me, and the low vacuum indicates some sort of hot cam (unless there are other unrelated problems).

3. alchemy

alchemy

Strombergs like 2 pounds max. My particular Strombergs on my engine like about 1.5 pounds. I've got no idea what later carbs can stand.

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d consider running just the two outer carbs and block the center one.
    The 94’s are good carbs also for your application. I agree drop the fuel pressure a tad.

clem likes this.

5. I have run 3 94s on a 296 inch FH with straight linkage and no issues. I have 3 97s on my 286 inch FH.....progressive linkage....no issues. Fuel pressure at 2.5 psi.

EDIT - Make sure you use a regulator that is accurate at low pressures.....most are not. Also use fuel pressure gauge in line to verify the pressure going to the carbs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    Petejoe likes this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Power valve bad or incorrect size?

clem and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's where I was going.

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What type of pump are you using now?

9. clem

clem

and check float height is correct, but you probably know that….
    and what model of ‘94 is it ?
    They are all a little different.