Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 chevy help!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hellcat1941, May 11, 2015.

1. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

Ok folks I'm new to this forumn and what I'm undertaking. I bought a rolling chassis 1941 chevy coupe 2 door.. It is bare on the inside and supposedly a mustang 2 fronte end.. However there drums up front and too me the motor mounts are way too far back. I have no pedals, interior or engine and transmission. I'm looking for any type of help.. Or even pictures so I can figure out what I am missing. Thank you!

2. squirrel

squirrel

hi welcome. First, figure out how to post pictures. Then we can help you figure out what you have.

3. And your profile…..someone may be local.

4. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

First of all, what these ^^^ guys said. Pictures are a must so we can see what you see. Also, I doubt you have mustang 2 up front. Did they ever come with drums?? Some 41 Chevys came with an independent front suspension but not really that great. Motor mounts can be removed easily!

5. Welcome to the board. You should be able to find the help you need around here. Post pics when you get a chance.

6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. The 41 Chevy with original 216 engine had motor mounts on the very FRONT of the engine that mounted to the center of the front cross member midway between the independent front suspension. The rear of that engine was supported by the transmission which had a mount to the transmission cross member. There should have been no side mounted motor mounts so if your chassis has some they were added for a different engine, perhaps a V8.

If you go to www.chevsofthe40's.com their online catalog will show all of this and you can request a paper catalog that they will mail you. It would be a big help in figuring just what is missing.

You can tell if it is the original Chevy independent front suspension by looking at the shocks. On original suspension the knee action shocks were made as an interical part of this front end and cannot be removed. With a bit of enguenity & a welder you can add tube shocks if you feel the need as an add on with originals by welding a mounting bar below the lower A arms and an upper shock mount to the frame.

Jimmie

7. greybeard360

greybeard360

I am currently building a 41 Chevy for a customer..... PM me if you need any help. I have a lot of photos and can take more ! It has a MII front end, LS motor (not my choice) S10 rear end. I am getting near completion so I have been thru everything on the car.

8. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

I will try and get a pic of it this evening.. It's just an odd setup lol.. Should have picked a more complete vehicle to have as my first restoration lol.

9. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

I also have the catalog from Chevy's of the 40's.. I just need actual pictures to go off of. And I'll try and post pics but so far the images are too large.

10. We don't do restorations, but I guess you already knew that.

Pics for sure and it sounds like someone was dishonest with you about the front end. But it can be sorted out no matter what they said it was.

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have windows 7 or 8 you have an editing program ( picture gallery) which will allow you to resize pix from your digital camera or phone ,if you upload them to the computer first. I resize to 800x600 and they work fine.

12. squirrel

squirrel

that's a pretty common problem...I use Microsoft Paint to resize images, but there are other methods, such as uploading to Photobucket, or using other photo editing software. Or set your camera to save the images in a smaller size, then take the pictures again.

13. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

Well here is one side.

Attached Files:

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Looks like a M11 front suspension. From what you mentioned, it sounds like you are missing a lot of parts. If you plan on using OG 41 parts, keep this in mind that 41 is a one year car and most (but all) of the parts are pricey and/or "hard-to-find."
    You have your hands full.

caseywheels likes this.
  15. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

I've found a lot so far.. Bench seat.. Dash, just need pedals and the rest will be after market.. Would like to find the trim pieces. If its a MII why is it drum brakes? And how in the heck do I run the steering? Lol seems to me those motor mounts are way to far back.

16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

didn't notice the brakes. La Bong says Corvair.

17. greybeard360

greybeard360

Looking at the rack and having drum brakes I am going to say that is a Pinto front end setup..... pretty much what was used on the MII. The rack looks different for some reason, not sure that is a Pinto rack or not, the way it is mounted doesn't look right.

18. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

Lol why a corvair lol.. Sounds more complicated.. I guess my first frame off is going to be more fun than I thought. I still want to make her a 13.00 second car at mile high ;)

19. greybeard360

greybeard360

Doing some searching... yes, looks more like Corvair with R&P added to it. Eyes get old and so do memories. That is why we have Google !!!

20. dada

dada

Don't think it's pinto or Mii to wide... may be AMC Gremlin they had the same type front end with drum brakes also Opel

21. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 49-51 front suspension bolts on similar to your original suspension and it's a more updated design. There are upgraded brakes available also. Just a thought.

Hellcat1941 likes this.
  22. corvair with a rack....

23. greybeard360

greybeard360

Here is a Heidts MII front end on a 40 Chevy. You can see where the motor mounts are on the frame to compare to yours.

LSS 001.jpg

Hellcat1941 likes this.
  24. Make that 3 of us. its an old suspension swap that someone swapped the rack in at a later date would be my guess.

Hellcat1941 likes this.
  25. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, what you have here might be a piece of history. One of the original IRS suspension swaps probably done in the early 60's which weren't Mustang 2. I'd keep it for that (depending on your plans). I don't recommend going back to the original 41 Chevy suspension but if you do I just removed the complete set up from mine. (I know, shameless, LOL)

Hellcat1941 likes this.
  26. Hellcat1941

Hellcat1941

I think I'm going to keep it.. The older it is the more I like it.. Just wish I could have found a 42 chevy.. That's my dream car.. Right when the war broke out.

27. Well within about 6 months of the war breaking out that was the dream of any number of American men, do be driving a '42 anything, and not in Europe. LOL

'41s are nice old cars for sure. It looks like you have a good place to start, I would probably rethink the rack unless it had historical significance or you find that it is set up properly and does not have bad bump steer. A rack can be a serious pain.

Anyway looks like you got a good starting place.

Hellcat1941 likes this.
  28. I'm in the process of removing a bunch of my trim-- hood, fender, window, rocker panel-- let me know if you need any of that, and I'll make like Monty Hall.

Hellcat1941 likes this.
  29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca