Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 chevrolet deluxe rear axle width

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buick bill, Dec 1, 2019.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

anyone ? thinking about a nova rear . 60.25 width/3.08 with 250/pwr gld , according to the web . im leaning toward 70 3 spd with synchro low . should be a bolt in to the 62 p/u bell im running now , right .? was thinking about a t5 but the ones that work are getting hard to come bye .and with the 235 and 3.08s not sure id really gain much for the trouble !? also i like 3 on the tree . shouldnt be to hard to make that work . no arms on the trany ,but stock prob. wouldn't work right anyway can someone tell me how tight it would spin at 70 mph .im running g 78 /15s . anyway stock rear width would be a big help on my decision making . I don't think over drive would help the milage much with the 3.08 , might even loss a bit ? oh happy holidays !!!! thnx

2. squirrel

squirrel

3.08 is as low as you'd want to go, I think, and overdrive would not be worth it. RPM isn't really important...so much as being able to go up hills without downshifting, and being able to get the car moving from a stop without too much clutch slipping. I think you'll be fine, though.

As long as the transmission isn't from a pickup truck, it should bolt in, although you'll have to use nuts on the lower two mounting bolts. If it's a pickup trans, then the bolt holes will be right, but the bearing retainer would probably be too larges, so you'd need the passenger car version.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With an S10 T5 on an adapter, 3.76 gear-set (not 4.03), and a 235, I would find a rear end with 3.73:1 gears.

That combo has worked well for me.

4. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

I was told/believe 70s Saginaw , not sure what gears .the pwrgld yoke should fit ? DSCF4933.JPG

Attached Files:

5. squirrel

squirrel

1969 or 1979? Looks like the bearing retainer is the small one. A fine spline (64ish or later) PG yoke should work.

6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

that's what I was thinking . still need to know the stock 41 rear width . cant find it anywhere . but im sure its out there . should be close enough but theres not much room in the wheel house !!

7. Bigdavid

Bigdavid
    from Tennessee

According to the Tremec calculator,the 3.08 with a 78/15 tire you will spin at 2660 at 70 mph

8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thnx for that ! im thinking that should be well within the 235 comfort zone . maybe even economical ? and 80 mph for a minute! found a site that said stock rear width is 59" so 60.25 should be good .and bye bye huck brakes !!! now ive got work to do . driveline COULD be close to the right length. yea right

9. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

ive got a 55 wgn .any chance the front backing plates brakes could swap

10. squirrel

squirrel

The rear width should be close, but you really need to measure, and know what wheels/tires you are going to use, to be sure.

55 car backing plates are rather different than the older cars. Does the 41 have original front suspension?

11. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im in to the frnt for $500.oo for frnt shocks , if that's the correct name . so their there for the duration . same with the tires . g 78 15 w/w $1,000.oo . so not changing . might have rear axles changed to 6 lug after I swap the rear , but I would rather get rid of hucks on frnt and go to 5 lug there . steel wheels are cheap !! im staying with rambler hub caps with buick spinners. someones gota do it !! cost , no !!!hamb style. the way its going ive made money on the build .only way I can keep it going . 1941-Chevrolet-Special-Deluxe.jpg DSCF4938.JPG I think I have enough cheap paint to do the fenders !!

12. ...a 68-74 Nova rear with 3:08 gears should work great with a 15 X 7 " rim,..a 250 Chevy 6 with a 'Glide or short-tail 350 will be a great combo, have run that combo many times with good results using orig. rear leaf springs witha lowering block;...,....great mileage and easy to keep up with most traffic today..I'd swap 51-4 Chev pass. car front backing plates, etc. for the better Bendix brakes, same bolt pattern as the rear,..good luck.

13. I agree, around 60 inches width should work. The old tri-five rearends were used on the 37-41 Chevys and they are around the 60 inches. Newer GM 10-bolt like the Nova should also work fine. On the Ford side, the Granada reared has been used, I think it is slightly less around 58.5 range. If you have the Nova rearend, just measure what you have in the car and compare. It should work, and you can swap the front brakes out to 53-54 Chevy Bendix style and pick up the matching 5x4.75 bolt pattern as the Nova rrear has.

14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

it was my orig. intention to use the 250 but I ended up with the 235 swap , mostly to keep it simple .and I decided to go for the 50s era poor mans/boys style . im not regretting it . and it works for my budget . ive been playing with 60/70 muscle cars lately and its nice to get back to my roots.I like whats shaping up so far . so the235 is there for at least the foreseeable future . but the trans and rear are a bit hard to deal with .it will do 65 but its a little on the wound side . we have this new interstate thing .went to Medford ,or. yesterday, not in the 41 !doing 80 and people were passing me !so taller gears is almost a nessesitee. I think the 235 will be close to a 230 , just a little heavier and not as economical but im only guessing . would bee nice to get 20 mpg !!!

15. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

remember when a 53 4dr was free if you hauled it away . not so much anymore . but ill waite . it stops .but you need lead time