Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 buick staight 8 - 4 carb build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kuhn1941, Dec 1, 2013.

1. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I just removed the dual intake and exhaust set up from my 1941 248ci buick , now comes the building of the intake and exhaust set up . Most of the stuff I got from " hells gate hot rods " flanges ,intake kit ,and some pics too . I am going 4 holley 94's and my thoughts run wild with vintage ideas that I can put on it to make it look more era correct to the 50's build style . Please if you have ideas or pictures of straight eight buick combo's or other inline combo's I would like to hear about them and or see pictures . The pictures I posted is of my engine bay , then the other picture (perfect 263ci) is what I have basically purchased to build . I know mine may not be as beautiful , but it is the general idea Thank you for any input

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. daliant

daliant

That 3 carb manifold is a nice looking piece but one thing the stands out and kinda ruins it for me is the rectangular shaped plenum, a 50's era piece would have most likely been built with a round plenum like the old U-Fab intakes.

4. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I saw a picture in Hot Rod from the early 50's where they ran a carb to each of the 4 intake ports no connection between any of them. This set up wouldn't idle.

5. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

Since I am welding the intake up myself , I am thinking of doing some custom mods to the rectangular shape . I also may use tubing to raise the carbs off the intake around 1" to 2" . There is pictures around the internet of these styles too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. trosa54

trosa54

Here's one that might inspire you. This 27T with S8 motor roadster really motivated me to build one like it. I have the 263 S8 rebuild done, but the manifold and carb dynamics are still well.......not done. I've done a little research on this. I've seen the box type and the log. They both have there issues. Check www.teambuick. There's opinion there. Edmunds made a bat wing looking intake that may be out there somewhere, prepare to pay large, but who knows how it ran.

Good Luck

trosa54

Attached Files:

7. daliant

daliant

^^^ Yeah, that one nails it!! ^^^

8. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I do like the round look. Makes the round curves on the engine look even better.

9. SwedishEinar

SwedishEinar

Are you selling the dual carb intake?
    /SwedishEinar

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that's cool as hell,runs a lot better that's bitchin,very work

11. 1952henry

1952henry

Very nice looking with the round intake. Fits well with the header.