Register now to get rid of these ads!

'41 Buick I got this weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

Here are some photos of the '41 I bought over the weekend (the one from the "what do these go for" post). The car is at my father-in-law's on the Eastern Shore until we go pick it up...that's where these photos were taken. It's a running, all original, garage-kept '41 Super with 83k original miles....in my eyes, the perfect starting point for a nice, early 40's custom...

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940, LBCD and Rick & Jan like this.
  2. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

WOW - she's a beaut. What are you going to cut first?

3. Terry

Terry

Man, that thing is awesome!!! Congrats!

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Very cool and classy lines. The right subtle touches would really set it apart!

Attached Files:

5. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

When you throw the 350 in it can I have the old manifold?:confused: :confused: :confused: :D

6. Heck, it aught to be good for some survivor trophies just the way it is. You never did tell us how many arms and legs it cost, but it's nicer than the one I mentioned seeing, by a long shot.

7. Way too nice, it's not even dirty!

8. Curt Six

Curt Six

No arms or legs, believe it or not. Just a couple of pinkies. And that manifold is staying with the motor under that hood...sorry! I do have a 425 nailhead in my garage, but it's gonna have to keep waiting...the fireball 8 stays in this one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. wannabewannabe

wannabewannabe

Leave it be. It's only a low mile original once.

10. repoguy

repoguy

I wouldn't cut that one up. Some cars should be left alone. A 1940 ford and a 65 Buick Riviera are good examples. I think that one is another one that shouldn't be cut up. I personally think your car looks better than the one automotive stud posted.

I'd keep it black and go very mild. Maybe a little lowered with a nice wheel treatment. Kinda more moonshiner style.

That's a really nice car.

11. marv1

marv1
    from St. Louis

WOW! Great buy!:cool:

12. johndanger

johndanger

nice car , I have a 41 Buick 66S Century , I hate to say it but I wouldn't mess with it ,it seems like a nice car, I would just drive it as is , check out Bob's if you need any dodads , and join the Buick owners club , go to some antique car meets and see how the other side does it , you might have some fun. If you have to mess with it trade it for a different one and get some cash out of it to spend on some mods . If its a dual carb , join the registry.
    if you do decide to mess with it keep all the old parts and good call on keeping the inline 8 they are fast and strong .

But if you are thinking of choping it , thats the right roof to cut.
    -John

13. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

I agree, way too nice to mess up. Make any changes easily reversible.

Lower it and run 15" WW radials
    Skirts
    Go over the wiring very carefully, you can only burn it up once
    Dual carbs and duals

Im hoping to pick up a 47 Super 2dr fastback and already have a complete 41 dual carb setup ready for it.
    However the 47 is in need of an interior (mice and squirrels) and body restoration so it will get some sled treatment. Not sure how much yet, its been in the back of a poorly lit commercial building for about 30 years.

14. guiseart

guiseart

"starting point"??? Looks done to me!

15. ABone312

ABone312

I couldn't cut that up if it is all original unrestored. I'd maybe lower it and put a set of skirts on and leave it, maybe do a brake upgrade on it for safety. A car that original and in that good of shape is not easy to come by.

chevy54man likes this.
  16. Spike!

Spike!

Nice car Curtsy! When's the cook-out this year?

Spike

17. KustomSkylark

KustomSkylark

I was just day dreaming about that exact car at work last week. I found abd linked this pic from www.carnut.com and I think it just about sums up what needs to be done.

[​IMG]

Rick & Jan likes this.
  18. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

perfect, lowered, www and nice caps...

19. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Congratulations Bro! That is one sweet ride! Good Luck in whatever you decide to do!

20. I wondered if I'd see some inspiration for this one. This car is decent but not too decent to cut up. Really considering it sat outside in a field for years it's pretty solid - I had someone throw this paint on to keep it from rotting any more. If it was as nice as Curt's, I'd feel bad about doing much of anything to it.

[​IMG]

21. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

That puppy is SWEET! The "Mobtown Bomber"

22. freakin sweet!:D
    i realy wish i could find and afford a car like that...

23. Curt Six

Curt Six

"Mobtown Bomber"...I like that!

My thinking is pretty much in line with what you guys see...mild de-chroming, lowering, caps, interior. The biggest body mods that I see are filling the seams on the rear fenders, rounding the top door corners and maybe frenching the headlights...and those are all down the road anyway because right now I'm just going to drive. A lot.

Johndanger - what's the registry you mentioned? It does have dual carbs, but it needs dual exhaust! Also, post a larger pic of your car when you can. I'm not going to chop the top on this, but I do want to see what you've done.

Spike - thanks man. Not sure if we're doing the cookout this year...I'm pretty swamped with my business and haven't had time to do any planning. If we do it, it will be a real cookout...informal, probably at my buddy's house (with a big yard for lots of parking).
    Curt

24. Spike!

Spike!

Curt- I'm there! Hope to see you Maryland guys more this year!

Spike

25. Ron

Ron

Attached Files:

26. Nice ride Curt! I almost bought a 47 Ford Tudor recently. It was supposed to have been shipped to the house yesterday, but after going over stuff (home inprovement, paying off more bills first) with the wife she talked me out of it.
    Look forward to checkin' out your 41 sometime.

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Great looking Buick....

I think it has a nice wheel treatment... Maybe a brake upgrade though, and as someone said check the wiring very carefully...

28. kreapin'

kreapin'
    from St. Louis

29. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Glad to hear it. Thats a damn nice ride. Not sure all you're going to do with it, but I'd think just a slight lower stance, and ditch and fill of the chrome pieces would do it nice. The later is not even necessary, as the pieces do actually add to the body lines.

Once again, damn nice fine.

Edit: And then I read on and find what you are going to do to it. good choices.