Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41-48 Ford steering column repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LBCD, Jul 12, 2016.

1. LBCD

LBCD

My 41 Ford column needs help...it has a tiny bit of play but just enough to make it rattle... the bearing or seal ring is bad. The column has been shortened and is paired with a M11 rack....I have looked for a video for repairing this and have had no luck. Any help is appreciated if someone can add a link or what not...thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. the bearing on top or bottom? if they connected it to a Mustang II rack they must have added a bottom bearing. it could be a 3/4" wheel barrow ball bearing , or a simple plain bushing...without seeing it in person it would be hard to tell. i have actually used a 4-bar bushing there.

the upper bearing may be a stock Ford , replacements are available. or they could have used a bearing or bushing there too

you might just have to take it apart and see

3. LBCD

LBCD

Thanks for the info! I believe its just the top part by the wheel...having a hell of a time trying to pull the wheel off. Just sprayed some tri-flow on the splines and will try it again...got the wheel from Limeworks and the center is aluminum....hope I dont strip the puller threads.

4. dave plmley

dave plmley

I shortened the column in my Merc and used new bushings with bronze inserts from Mac's Auto. The stock bushings are only rubber. Your stock wheel has a taper bore with a keyway, not splines.

5. LBCD

LBCD

So being a taper it should still just pull off...right? I have not had the wheel off since it was installed by the builder about 8 years ago.

6. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Loosen the nut on the wheel and back it off until it's even with the top of the shaft. Get a helper and one of you pull back on the wheel with two hands while the second person strikes the nut with a hammer, works every time.

7. LBCD

LBCD

Cool..thanks! I will try that... similar to a ball joint then... This thing has not budged. Every other wheel on any other car I've owned would have popped off by now.