Register now to get rid of these ads!

41-48 Ford Business Coupes, did any have crank open vent windows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Chad s

Chad s

I just got a set of inner door garnishes and vent window stainless, and its clear that these vent windows were designed to crank open. I got these to re-do the chopped garnishes that were not done right on my 47 business coupe, and mine didnt have crank open vent windows, they just gad a latch to held them shut when not in use.

I think these came from a 4 door sedan front doors maybe? Did a business coupe ever have crank out vent windows? My doors done even have a location for such a crank. I think I may have been sold the wrong part, but before I email the seller, I want to confirm that these definately didnt come out of a business coupe, like the guy said they were.

2. phat rat

phat rat

my 41 doesn't have crank outs

3. old beet

old beet

I think Fords first crank outs were 49 Lincoln?...........OLDBEET

4. 416Ford

416Ford

My 46 has crank outs but it is a 4dr. Is it going to affect fixing yours? You can still use your lower corner off your and splice the new ones in above it. Pivot point should be the same. If you do not want them I can look and see if I have a set that does not crank out to swap with you. Already chopped mine and have a set left from a parts car.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Fords had crankouts into 1947, then '47-8's went to push out in the fancy line of cars. I don't know if the '46 and back stripper models had pushouts...most production was Super Deluxe.

6. old beet

old beet

Damn! Wrong again!.............OLDBEET

7. phat rat

phat rat

I've had two 41's, a 42 and doors from different years 41-48, none have had the crank out vents so I don't know what the deciding factor was as to whether or not they had them. I do know it wasn't the difference between 2dr, 4 dr or cpe

8. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I have the '41 Short Door Business Coupe, no crank out.

9. Chad s

Chad s

Ok, so these are off of a 4 door sedan. Obviousely advertised as business coupe garnishes, as they are rarer cars, and could get the guy more $$. Time to hit the "contact seller" button....

10. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

My 46 Bus coupe has crankout vents. It is a super deluxe.

11. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The question about 1941-48 front door vent window handles can be answered like this , there were two design vent windows. The first was a common manually opened vent window secured by a cam over lock lever that was used on series designated Special and Deluxe model vehicles. The Super Deluxe versions had a door vent window that was operated by a crank gear mechanism that mechanically opened and closed the vent window. This design was carried thru production until 1948. So based upon the model car that you have will determine if you have push out vents or windout vents and it made no difference if it was a 4D or coupe body style.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

'47 cars made after the early '46-look ones and '48's in Super Deluxe did not have crank-outs. This feature was dropped at about the time of the '46 to '47-8 styling change, except I think for the two convertible types. This is from years of pillaging '48 parts back when they could be found in junkyards, supported by the club resto book. Cars with 6A type trim, no cranks unless a few early ones had them. Low-line cars also no cranks any year; those are rather rare, as the bulk of production seems to have been super deluxe. The lower lines I think were marketed as fleet and commercial cars, not really intended for the regular customers.