Register now to get rid of these ads!

40's Ford truck need help with ID (yes it's another ID thread....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BarryA, Oct 7, 2009.

1. BarryA

BarryA

I know these threads aren't too popular but if someone would please help:

This was advertised locally as a 1940 Ford truck - the front sheetmetal has me scratching my head a little......none of my searches turn up anything that looks the same all the way up to '47
    [​IMG]

Can anyone shed some light?
    Apparently the flathead will still turn over and otherwise it is "reasonably complete". I am really after a 40 but they're hen's teeth out here and if a front sheetmetal swop is feasible I may consider this one.

Thanks
    Barry

Attached Files:

2. Between a 42 to 47 ford pickup. I'm not sure there's a hell of a lot of difference in between the years to tell them apart.

3. It's a 1.5 ton (maybe even a 1 ton or bigger). What you are used to seeing is the 1/2 tons. I do believe the 1/2 sheet metal will bolt up though. Not 100% sure on that though either.

4. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I have a 42 and a 46 ford its not one of them the fenders are way dif. :D truck I don't know it could be a 40 or 41 but I 've never seen a grill like that. hers a pic of a 42 ford truck:cool:

Attached Files:

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

My avatar is a 40

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Its a '41 - 3/4 or 1 ton for sure. Didn't share 1/2ton body style.

7. BarryA

BarryA

Thanks guys - seems Comet has nailed it. ( and oldrelics:D)

The 40 half ton is what I'm after - can anyone confirm whether the cabs are the same and/or if half ton sheet metal will fit. This wil most likely be sourced from a '40 sedan so that may be different again......

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The wide hood bull nose matches the 41 3/4 tonner and up front end. Completely different from the 1/2 ton models. The 42-47 had a different front end all together.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That is a 41 3/4-1 ton truck. Uses the same cab as the 40-41 regular 1/2 ton pickup.
    It is a goodie to find a complete truck of this kind and would make a really neat truck when finished. It may be a V8 or a L-6.

10. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Looks to be a 40 or 41....definitely a 3/4 ton. I can't tell by the subtle differences which but the serial number (found on the drivers side top frame rail near the steering gear box) will tell for sure. Here are two links for line drawings of Ford trucks. You can tell by the wheels that this is a 3/4 ton. Definitely not 42....that's when the headlights were placed in the front of the fenders.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_model_ID_1940trucks.htm

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_model_ID_1941trucks.htm

Last but not least....here is the link for Ford's serial number charts for USA production:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Hope this helps............. Mac VP

11. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Cabs are the same, but the chassis and fenders ar different.

12. I have a forty 1/2 ton. Mine had fender mountings for both types of trucks. The larger truck mounting were along the leading edge of the body with three holes with cage nuts. The 1/2 ton fenders have a mount at the bottom of the cab in front of the door, on the side of the cab under the hood that uses a small "L" bracket, and 1 or 2 holes on the side of the cab between the door hinges.

hope this helps