Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40'S Dodge truck front fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Myergens, May 18, 2014.

1. Myergens

Myergens
    from Fargo

I wondered what the difference was between 1/2 ton and lets say 1 1/2 or 2 ton truck front fenders. I superimposed two photos and found this (see image). the back of the fenders is the sam but the larger truck (yellow) reaches way out beyond the 1/2 ton(red) . the blue line is my guess what would happen with a vertical chop to make 1/2 ton fenders out of larger ones. see the red and yellow wheel size and locations. front fenders comparo.jpg

2. I've never tried to compare pick-ups to the heavier trucks, but if the fenders are longer, the hood would have to match. My 1 1/2 ton hood is 33" measured along the side hinge.

3. 28-31

28-31

I'm still pretty new to the 1939-1947 Dodge "Job-Rated" trucks. I recently acquired a 1947 WF-32 1 1/2-Ton flatbed and starting doing research right away. As I understand it, the over-all dimensions of the fenders are the same for the smaller trucks versus the larger trucks (up through 1 1/2-Ton, anyway) -- but the wheel openings on the 1 1/2-Ton are larger, to accommodate the larger 20-inch wheels and tires.

Again, I'm still learning, so I could be wrong -- but it's my current understanding that the other sheet metal (the nose, hood, cab, doors, etc.) are all identical for the "smaller" and "larger" trucks (up through 1 1/2-Ton).

Some measurements (or an interchange manual) would answer it for sure, but that's what I think is true -- from research here and on the Yahoo Groups "Registry of 39-47 Dodge/Mopar Trucks".

If I find any specifics, I'll post an update.

==========

UPDATE - I dug through the info I collected from the 39-47 forum and found this reply to a question I asked about size differences between the "smaller" trucks and my 1.5 Ton WF-32:

"Cabs, hoods and grilles are the same size, front fenders on the 1.5 tons are bigger (wider and longer with bigger wheel openings) than on 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons. From memory, wheels are 16" on 1/2 ton, 15" on 3/4 ton and 16" on 1 ton (different centers), but Dodge did offer an option of 20" wheels on some pickups. I've only ever seen one factory photo of these, they appear to be 4" wide and I've never heard of anyone with them, where on the bigger trucks there's 4 or 5 different widths available depending on truck and tire size."

Hope that helps.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  4. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

The trucks with the big fenders (optional 20" wheels or the 1 1/2 ton or larger) also had the cabs raised with a filler under the doors, and the running boards were lower in relation to the cab. The fenders' wheel openings were centered, like the smaller trucks. That would make your fenders longer in both the front and in the rear, not like your illustration.

If you intend to mount the larger fenders onto a smaller truck, I would also line up the rear edge of the fenders and modify the front of the fenders. You will also probably want to resize your wheel openings. Rather then one pie cut to shorten the front of the fenders, your probably better off making several pie cuts and pull a little at each cut, otherwise your fender might have the crown on the top out of perspective. Gene

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Myergens

Myergens
    from Fargo

Yes you are right 50dodge4x4. I just checked out the large fenders while attached to the nose/ radiator and it relates to these longer fenders just as the the nose on1/2 ton. It's complicated.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Actually, the fender setup on the 39 - 47 are much more simple then the fender setups on the 48-53. On them the fenders are the same length because they attach to the nose piece and attach at the same point at the cab, but the wheel openings are a lot bigger, and moved forward. The 48-53 also have a fender extension the adds about 4" per side to the width of the fenders. I cut down a pair of 2 ton 48-53 fenders and extensions to fit on a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck.

Attached Files: