Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40's-50's Chevy 2500 Pickup Build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brahm, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Brahm

Brahm

Well, I'm blaming my girl on this one, shes got a thing for old chevy pickups. Yesterday we put down a deposit on a what we believe is a '52 Chevy pickup. Haven't run the vin yet, so we don't know for sure if it's 49-52. It has the original black plates and the first number are 49. These are the picture from the AD, I'll take some of my own once I get it home.

Went down yesterday to this guys lot, he had inherited the cars/trucks and land from his grandfather. He had a ton of trucks and was clearing them out. There also was a 48 5 window cab that he wanted for a great price but that truck was missing alot of parts, but the cab was in great shape. I'm still thinking of going back and getting it as well, but I don't really have the room ,the budget or the means to move around a non-roller. It's missing all the rear suspension, diff, doors trans, fenders.

So here she is, as she sits now, with the exception of some surface rust. she's rust free original paint.. ect ect. Supposedly was running but hasn't been fired in some time. It doesn't have a bed on it right now, but I'm getting 2 beds with the truck a rusted out wood bottom bed that I'd like to try to save, and if I can't I'm getting the bed from a 60's pickup which we believe is the same minus being metal bottom, (could be wrong) and I have the original fenders that I will swap onto it.

The plan, well I've got a few different thoughts that I'm trying to decide on. For the most part I want to keep it as a very mild traditional appearing custom. My main point of contention is between just a mild lowering to bagging it (which I've never done).

Paint: I'm thinking a simple flat dark green, with some white walls, maybe a logo or some light pin stripping but that's down the road.

Motor/trans.. (this is the only non-hamb friendly thing). Skip this part if you think you might cringe here, but I have a '95 LT1 / 4l60e combo that I did a retrofit swap in my '69 (ot car). I'm looking to switch an different combo in that car, so I'm thinking of yanking it out and swapping it for the 6cyl manual setup. It should be stout, run well and be reliable, get millage in the teens, plus it will be hidden under a hood so I can still keep it very traditional appearing.

Suspension: Deciding on stock, with a slight lowered stance, to bags.

Brakes: I have to switch the fronts to disk. I'll never daily drive another 4 wheel drum car again.

Parts I'm missing, gauges, rear window and turn signals.

So thoughts? Opinions I've never built something like this before so it should be a lot of fun. My plan is since it's pretty complete to keep it as a simple build something we can wrap up over the course of the spring/summer and not as big of a project as '29 buick, and hopefully keep it within a budget (HA!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Congratulations.........................I'm so happy

Well no I am not, actually you just ruined my day, why can't someone move the west closer to us so we can enjoy some of these treasures..:D:D

Enjoy the find and put her in the wind, thats were the most joy comes from.