Register now to get rid of these ads!

409 front motor mounts? and.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Nov 23, 2009.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I tried finding the info in searches here as well as on the www.348-409.com site, but cannot seem to find it. What I am wondering is, are the motor mounts on the 409 basically the same as a big block 396-454 style? I'm wondering about the front ones. I have a chassis that has the brackets/mount plate for the 396-454 big blocks that mounts to the front holes on block and was wondering if the 409 truck block would have the front mounting holes or if it is possible to drill and tap them? I had a guy stop by my shop yesterday asking me if I was interested in or knew anyone that would be interested in a 409. It is a 1965 truck motor, but he claims it runs good and is complete....and is loooking to get $500. for it!! I got his address and will be going to get it saturday. I am assuming the 409 is the same length from the bellhousing face to the front as the big blocks if you can use a big block crank in them....is that right? Thanks in advance for any help guys. I know, I could just wait until I pick it up and look at it myself...measure it too...but curiosity is killing the cat!!!

Al.

2. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Front mount available from Speedway motors. Pretty cheap too. They list a different one for small block, big block and 348 409 so I am sure the block mounting holes are different. The crankshaft is far from a drop in. The front snout is the same as small block. If it is a truck motor I bet the thrust on the crankshaft is ruined, ours was. Any machine shop can probably cut the snout down to fit the 409 balancer but the problem comes when you need to cut the key way, maybe you have a local crank shop that can handle it. Hope this helps. Dont let any of this slow you down for $500 though. But double check to make sure it isnt a 348.

3. $500 is a hell of a price for a running W engine.Grab it if you can! I agree with Chevy 55, double check the #s, a lot of "409's" turn out to be 348s. The 348-409 site doesn't list all the #s. I have a 348 truck engine that isn't listed in thier info, also mine has a 409 style oil pan.

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I think, even if it turns out to be a 348 I will still buy it. He claimed they bought the truck new with plans to haul grain and live stock to sell at auctions around the state but it didn't pan out for them. Supposibly it has less than 25,000 miles on it. He was heading out of town for Thanksgiving, or else I would have been up there to look/get it tonight!!! I feel like a kid waiting for the candy store to open....