Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 409-’56

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jun 3, 2016.

1. BSL409, Real nice tri five. Love to see the 61 and 62 run.

2. frank spittle

frank spittle

Anyone cruising the streets of Charlotte in 1965 will remember Horace Hart's 409-425 horse 4-speed '56 Chevy. It was a beautiful black Bel Air HT. He had it set up for street racing (looked stock) and I don't believe he was ever beat with it in '63-'65. He had sold the engine and then the car by the time the big block 427 came out.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Seeing that car in "living color" will be so cool. I do hope it pops up.

4. It's funny you just posted because I had time to kill in front of the TV tonight (my 1914 house doesn't do well in today's 90 degree heat...) I know I saw a color photo of that along with the b&w magazine photo shown above. I couldn't find it, but I did find this post:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tri-five-chevys-lets-see-em.206159/page-43#post-8973273

there are a few more photos a few posts down from it, in that thread. I'm not saying it's the very same car, but it is sort of an interesting coincidence...

Gotta56forme/Scott

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Gotta wonder if it is the same car. Those rear wheel cutouts are spot on.

6. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

I'm thinking that car was featured in Popular Hot Rodding.

7. @gotta56forme Dang. How long did that take ?? Here's the full sized for you. Compare away ! Thanks for sleuthing for us all. Wow. So what do you think then ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Spending Sundays at "The Pond" (San Fernando drag strip) exposed one to many high quality racers of the time. Another big hitter was the Scribner bros. and their similar '56. It seems the high quality guys copied one another on that rear radius shape. scribner56-2.jpg

9. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

I went to high school with Eric and watched that '56 evolve in the right direction, sometimes week to week. He 'inched up' on everything he did to that car (collecting data) to see if it worked or not. Pretty impressive for that time.
    Eric was one of those people we all like to be around. Every area around the country has it's own local hero, Rex Carson was ours. On the cutting edge of most things automotive. His work was subtle but solid. So I'm really not surprised the '56 (I'm just assuming this is the same car) looks and performed like it did.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  10. PhilW1955

PhilW1955

Eric sold the 56 to Mike Tollack who put a 427 in it. I don’t remember Mike taking it to the strip, but he did drive and race it on the street around Glendale in the late sixties. He sold it because Uncle Sam was calling, where it went after that, I don’t know, but I believe i’ve seen it on Pinterest. Beautiful car!!