Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 401 nailhead or 291 desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorvator, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Motorvator

Motorvator

I’m building a 1925 dodge coupe , lowered full fendered , can’t decide on a 401 nailhead with 6x2 And cad lasalle trans or desoto 291 with auto , also any tips on lowering?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That's a hard decision because they both have their cool factors. I had. 1940 Plymouth Business coupe with the 291 and auto. Ran like a Swiss watch. But run the 401, run a 3x2 intake instead and buy my 3x2 intake and my factory Buick finned valve covers and call it a day.:D

osage orange and Texas Webb like this.
  3. das858

das858

Run the HEMI since it's going in a Dodge .

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dodge with the Buick would chaff my hide like the '34 Plymouth in town with the SBC.

Now, they've put SBCs in Fords ever since Hot Rod Magazine oversaw the one into editor Bob Greene's '41 Ford pickup.
    But that '41 wasn't a Chrysler product, and it was 'then'. (whatever that means)
    I think there's an old Polish rule that says: "You may put Chryslers in Fords, but...not the other way around."
    No matter HOW nasty that Buick looks. Put it in something less 'holy'.
    My DeSoto's only 276", but it's going in my '27 tub.

To lower: Get a Ford F100 front axle, '53-'56. Weld an identical 'flange' onto the lower part of the axle beam, identical to the upper one, but so the new flanges are centered over your stock springs. (axle will be attached OVER the springs, not 'under', as stock were. This will drop you about 4", safely. Clean this up by cutting and grinding the old flanges off the upper parts of the axle.
    Know where I came up with the idea? My son @richinsanazay has a '25 Dodge Coupe, this is how we did his.
    Uh...Rich is installing a 291 DeSoto Hemi, as well.
    His Coupe had 30K original miles, NO rust ever, original upholstery, wood wheels...
    elder man died while beginning restoration. Now it's a hot rod...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Yes,,,,, Hemi in a Mopar,,,,just sounds right!

Tommy

osage orange and Texas Webb like this.
  6. A novel concept. I once had a Ford with a Ford engine.

7. From experience I can tell you that building the DeSoto will cost you a fortune. Personally, I would go with the nailhead.

j3harleys and saltracer219 like this.
  8. At least its not a cheby.But the Dodge needs a HEMI!!!!

9. Motorvator

Motorvator

10. I would go with the nailhead. more cubes and its stick shift.

j3harleys likes this.
  11. George

George

hemi! "73RR" here on the Board is QEC, I like his 727 adaptors.

osage orange likes this.
  12. There's no replacement for displacement.
    The 401.

j3harleys and Old wolf like this.
  13. George

George

No replacement of the wow factor of a Hemi!

14. I had a 291 in a '55 Desoto. Ran great (Fireflite, factory 4bbl, dual exhaust) but only put out 200hp. When I looked up high performance and chrome goodies, l definitely had "sticker shock"! All said, I vote for the "hemi"...

osage orange and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  15. BJR

BJR

As much as I like Nailheads......... Keep it all Chrysler!

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Both are cool but in my estimation nothing beats a Nailhead.

j3harleys and Old wolf like this.
  17. prpmmp

prpmmp

In my opinion you should put in a 5 HP Briggs flathead :eek:(You know what they say about opinions) What do YOU want??? Pete

18. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man what a great pair of choices you have. For me those two, a Nailhead and a Hemi are the two engines that scream Hot Rod. No way you can go wrong with either. I have both in my shop, I built both motors as well. The Nailhead is nowhere cheap to build maybe just as much as the Hemi and they are for sure not cheap to build.

As to the Mopar in a Mopar or a Ford in a Ford or anyway you can look at the deal, I have always found that to be a lame argument. Man its a Hot Rod you get to use any damn thing you want to, with those two choices you can not go wrong either way.

19. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Nailhead is cheaper and faster, the hemi is cooler. It’s your car do it the way you want

osage orange likes this.
  20. Motorvator

Motorvator

Now I’m even more undecided, but I think I’ll use the hemi , the car may come together quicker

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange and das858 like this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

How tough is it to put a stick shift trans behind the Desoto?

22. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to bad, today there are adapters for just about anything behind a Hemi. We today are very fortunate to have two very good suppliers. Hot Heads and here on the HAMB we have 73RR. Between those two there should be no problem at all.

Torkwrench likes this.
  23. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

It would have to be the hemi for me as well. Then when your done find another car to build with the nailhead. But like others have said there both awesome choices. Hope you do a build thread on it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

osage orange likes this.
  24. Hemi's are fun....I have a few....but just thinking the nailhead would be the better build choice.......

j3harleys and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. I have never been a hemi fan, a lot of nose wight.
    However I appreciate their hot rod and racing history .

osage orange likes this.
  26. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doesn't have to be that way, lots of ways to slim down a Hemi. It may not be cheap but it can be done.

27. George

George

HH & Wil-Cap make stick adaptors. 73RR(QEC) & T. R. Waters are for 727, I believe.

28. George

George

The advertised 7.5 C/R is probably optimistic. Forged 9 or 10:1 pistons would help.

29. ... so the math says, that a 291 is only 72% of a 401 cubic displacement. Didnt know the previous administration's CORE math was taught here.

In my neck of the woods, a 72 is a frek'n D minus. Why would you want that ?

Make the HAMB great again. Use the 401.

1927graham likes this.