Register now to get rid of these ads!

401 Nailhead Offy 2x4?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sgt_Slacker, May 22, 2013.

1. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

howdy all!

i just picked up an 2x4 Offenhauser manifold 5191 at an estate sale. its, i think 1980's, NOS.

i was wondering if i should put it on my 401 or, from a few threads on here, "sell it cause its crap" ???

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

'sell it cause its crap'???? Were those threads talking about the Buick intake itself or dual quad intakes in general, or just Offenhauser stuff. Most hotrodders don't consider 2x4 intakes as crap.

3. 1934coupe

1934coupe

4. williebill

williebill

From all I've read about nailheads,all the nail gurus agree that the Offy is the worst 2X4 available. That's why the Edelbrock B262 is held in such high regard,it flows much better.

5. yep

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Stock dual 4bbl intake flows better than Offy does. If it's what you want, use it. Otherwise use stock one or get lucky find an Edelbrock.

As of last year there was another brand out there but if I'm not mistaken the guy that makes em has swindled a bunch of HAMBers outta nailhead money. Can't remember name right now, think it started with an E or an F.

7. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

just the offy 2x4 is crap.

soooooo, should I run it (gonna put 2 edelbrock 1406) or just leave the stock 1x4 with the 1406??

is there any mods I could do to the offy to make it worth a dam?? I got it VERY cheap and like the 2x4 setup:)

I herd rumors about a repo of the fabled edelebrock B-262 but I cant find any info on it :(

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

One of the reasons for running a nailhead to start with is that they just look so damned cool. So If your about the aesthetics and not ET's then the Offy is a cool manifold and not many products are more 'traditional'.

You'll probably be over-carbed with the two 1406's but the factory AFB's are hard to come by. A single 4 will probably out perform it.

I was running a stock 401 in my Sedan Delivery with the factory 2-4's and I put a stock '66 Q-jet with an Edelbrock Q-jet on the fresh rebuilt 401 I have in it now and I love the way it runs, idles, cruises, sounds, and hauls ass.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's right. And for that reason, personally I'd rather run a 3x2 or better yet a 6x2...in spite of some hp loss. It's traditional, being what was used when there weren't many 4brrl carbs available, and I love the jewlery-ish look.

Also, "crappy" is a relative term. 10 or more less peak hp? Who cares? The beauty of a Nailhead, besides it's good looks, is the low rpm torque...which is what most guys really want for the street. (whether they realize it or not) How much hp can you really use on the street anyway? Peak hp doesn't mean a lot except when you're goin' balls-out at the dragstrip.

Use the Offy since you've got it. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

10. 31modelo

31modelo

Russ Martin has been working on making them flow better. You can send him you intake and he'll port it to make it the best it can be.

11. 327Eric

327Eric

If you want dual fours, and have an intake, run it. If you are drag racing, and want the best E.T.s, go with a better set up. A single 4 barrel will outperform 3 twos on every dyno run I've seen for a chevy small block. My holley is in a box, and the 3 twos are back on my 327. It will never be on a dragstrip, so who cares. It is fun as hell though.

12. Sgt_Slacker

Sgt_Slacker

well, it looks like I got my answer!!! im not putting it on a drag car, just a street. I only paid $50 for it at an old car guys estate sale, along with an edelebrock 1405 for $25 :cool:

next question is, id like to put a Thumpr cam in it. what other mods do I need to do b4 I put the cam in?? I.e. head work etc...

this engine is going in a 55 buick roadmaster 4door with an st400 trans, open shaft, and not sure what rear end. (any suggestions????) 4wheel disc, power brakes, master relocated to firewall, police clone with ALL ORGINAL 50's era equipment down to the flashlights!! ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. slammed

slammed

A cam that is suited for off idle to 4,500 may be better suited for your intended purposes. Hit the camshaft manufactures web sites for off the shelf recommendations. AND from dudes here that have run Booicks 1st hand. TORQUE is the strong suit, build around that.