Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 401 Nailhead Motor Mounts-Am I Crazy or What

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, May 3, 2018.

1. Just got a set of hot rod Buick Nailhead 364/401/425 motor mounts. The ones that use the old Ford V8 round style with the through bolt. So I go out to the shop to see if they fit. They do but it looks to me like the screw bosses on the driver's side of the block are one inch further forward than the screw bosses on the passenger side. Normal or am I hallucinating?

The mounts I have and every other mounts, stock or hot rod style that I can find on the net show two identical, symmetrical pieces. If I use the ones I have it looks like the frame mounting pad on the driver's side would necessarily be one inch forward as compared to the frame mounting pad on the passenger's side.

Asymmetrical block mounts with the mounting pad moved one half inch to the right would align the two frame pads but I did not see such a critter in my search.

First, would somebody tell me i'm not nuts and what I have is just a Buick Nailhead eccentricity.

And then tell me how I should make and place my 32 Ford frame pads.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Shop boy

Shop boy

I can tell you that my 401 Buick nailhead block also has one inch staggered engine mounts cast into the block, if that is your question?
    Since I only have one of these engines, I assumed all the castings were the same.
    I first noticed this staggered arrangement when installing this same engine into my run-in stand in preparation for break-in.

4. cshades

cshades
    from wi

That is the way they are

5. I have a 425 in the shop on an engine stand and the bolt holes in the block are staggered. The ones on the RHS are farther ahead (about an inch) than the ones on the LHS.

6. Well, at least I'm not crazy. Now, I have to start thinking about staggered frame mounts

7. BJR

BJR

That's a whole different subject.:p

8. iafraser39

iafraser39
    from Warmland

They are staggered. I made my own block mounts to compensate
    for the difference. P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010001.JPG P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG P1010001.JPG P1010002.JPG