Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Vintage air install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40_tudor, Jul 22, 2013.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a vintage unit and retain the stock cowl vent and linkage

2. OK Tim, now you have my attention! Of course that's going to mean more pictures!!:rolleyes::)

3. push_rod

push_rod

Here are some photos of the AC installation in my Coupe. Not as nice as olscrounger's, but it works okay for me. I used an Airtique HC unit, and modified it by adding vent outputs on the front of the box, and placing the defroster outputs on the top. I made my own under dash vent panel. The ashtray vents are from Vintage Air (Please excuse the dust!). Most of the cool air comes out of the under dash vents (The path of least resistance!). The cowl vent is activated by a motor. The unit sits below the full-sized glove box, hung by straps attached onto the top edge of the cowl where the dash attaches. I don't know if Airtique is still in business; their units were not as sophisticated as Vintage Airs. If I want windshield defrosters, I have to shut the side and bottom dash vents and turn the fan on high! It would be much nicer to have a defroster control more like modern cars (Turn a knob and they work!). The brackets used to mount the AC compressor and alternator are from Alan Grove.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  4. How do the set-ups with using only the center vents behind the speaker grille work out for air flow? Or, are their other hidden vents I am not seeing?

5. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The single most important thing to have cold air is the condenser placement. It needs to be within 1/4" of the radiator and aligned with the center of the fan, and the fan needs to be the biggest you can fit. No airflow = no cold air.

The charging is also important and should be done by somebody with a scale to install the correct amount of refrigerant.

Another issue is the placement of the water valve. It has to be in the line coming off the intake manifold, otherwise you will have hot water in the evaporator and it will greatly affect the air temp.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RichB--two other vents/hoses near kick panels
    Ol 55--you need a pic of the ac and colw vent linkage??

7. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I bought OldAir. Sorry product. Never again

8. I just removed a complete Hot Rod Air system from my '35 (PM if interested. Have flathead brackets too.). Had the hardware in for a few years until I got the recored radiator to handle the flathead heat. Finally charged it up and got cool air and can't cool the engine again. It has been in the 90's, but.... Now looking for an older style heater.
    Install was much easier with the dash removed, lost the glovebox, clocked the compressor 90* so the hoses exited the side, not top. Tried to hide as much as possible on the inner fenders.
    X2+ on the biggest condenser and fan you can fit.

9. Yeah Tim, I'd like to see how you mounted the system behind the dash and still retianed the cowl vent with the stock linkage. I see you have the unit as far right as you can get it. I guess that's the key. Sorry for being a pain in the ass!:eek:

Thanks. This is the kind of input I need! People who have actually used Old Air! I know VA gets the best reviews.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ol 55-- a few pics---one is my 40 and the others are current project--excuse the wiring not done yet

Attached Files:

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here is a little panel I had made for cars with speakers in the speaker grille--looks fine whne painted dash color--have a few left---also really like pushrods ac installs too

Attached Files:

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

13. Thanks Tim. Pushrod, your pictures and input are appreciated also.:)

14. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

just finished this panel to take the place of the speaker grill. started with a piece of machine turned aluminum from Speedway Mtrs. did template on back then cut holes. holds vintage air controls, cruise control switches, and seat heater switches.

Attached Files:

15. JEM

JEM

FYI regarding the Vintage Air mockup units - if you're an Amazon Prime customer they're the cheapest/quickest/easiest place to get one 'cause 'free' shipping.

I don't think I'm taking much revenue away from Alliance members who might be Vintage Air resellers in saying that, unless you're local it's a low-dollar item that's an expensive bulky PITA to ship if you don't get Amazon's rates (though it weighs about as much as a beer belch).

16. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

You should know that many VA dealers keep the mock-up units in stock to lend to their customers for fitment. They'll take a deposit and refund it when you bring it back (in good shape, of course).

17. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm still a long ways off from this step, but I do have a few questions that relate to this. What water pump length, balancer size, and AC/alt brackets are you guys using? Im still assembling my motor and need to address this now.

18. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

mine was all set up when I bought it, but no compressor. I have a 305 1986-87 with a short water pump but its a long pump engine. The short pump caused me more problems. the builder didnt take into account that it was timed by looking down from the top, so I had to take off all the pulleys, match TDC, mark a new line and bolt a timing tab to the front cover. mine has expensive allan grove pulleys.

19. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

stock damper and 3-groove (p/s, air, alt) crank pulley as far as I know