Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Tudor quarter window installation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jermo, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Good evening fellas, tonight I’ve been working on getting my quarter windows working. Found one thread from several years ago that explained how the regulator works, but my question is, is there an order to getting the window installed correctly?
    Should the window be in the channel before it’s dropped in and attached to the regulator? If so, I’m assuming that the channel should be centered on the glass? Also any tips on getting the regulator washers held back while attaching the channel to the regulator. Fat fingers and small access holes don’t work well in this case. Any pointers are appreciated[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

The way I've always done it: Install metal channel to the window (yes centered on the glass) lay regulator into the bottom of the door or 1/4 panel. Slide glass into the felts from the top and get it to slide up and down like it should. Let glass slide down until you can get the regulator rollers slid into the metal channel (it helps to have an extra set of hands at this point) Then push the glass with regulator attached up until the holes line up and install the screws/washers. Make sure to grease the rollers before they disappear up into the door or 1/4 panel. Don't tighten the screws all the way until you have determined the glass is sliding smoothly. This method usually works with any old Ford car.

teach'm and Jermo like this.
  3. Thanks for the tips-I’ve always tried it with the regulator loosely mounted and used the access holes... I’ll definitely take your advice and try this way. I’ll report back tonight after work/family duties

teach'm likes this.
  4. Tonight I got the channel installed on the glass, it wouldn’t go on dry so I used some liquid dish soap for a lube. A little persuasive tap with a rubber mallet got the glass/channel to come together nice. When I went to install the window in the car it kept wanting to come off the glass as I was getting things in line to attach the regulator so I ran a heat gun over it to dry out the setting tape, seems to be sticking better as it dries. I’ll check it in the morning and see if it has a firmer bond when completely dry.

5. Ok-got it going... I tried the recommendation above but couldn’t hardly reach up from the bottom and get a good hand on it so kept at it from the top.
    I installed the regulator loosely, in the rolled up position. The 2 regulator arms were showing in the top center access hole. Then put the window in. Attaching the arms to the regulator was a total PIA, the front arm had to be attached 1st, turn the handle to slide the front arm forward into the channel. I also had to raise the back of the window slightly to clear the back arm movement. Stop when the stopper hole in the channel lines up with the smaller access hole and install the stopper stud in the regulator. Then attach the rear arm of the regulator in the channel from the center access hole. It took a lot of jiggling things and manually moving the window back and forth... I’ll start the passenger side in a couple days, I’d like to think it’ll go smoother. Hope this helps anyone that tackles these!