Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40+ transmission mounting?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Does anyone have advice on mounting a 1940 on side-shift transmission to a 33-34 X member? I'm concerned about rubber mounting it. There is no room for standard ol'biscuits. I have to do something or having the front of the engine rubber mounted will most likely cause the cast case ears to eventually crack, yes? If they are strong enough to resist breakage then the motor will hardly move. I like this in a race car but not a street car.

2. Can you not just use the 33-34 mount? That's what I have in my 32 with 34 x-member and 37 trans. No rubber biscuits, but the mount has a ring of rubber to isolate it.

3. What he said, ^^^the rear mounts unbolt and you can bolt up a corresponding mount.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Van Pelt the transmission man has lots of the parts drawings online.
    Early trans mounts: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_trans-pics/trans-rearmount_32-36.jpg
    (generic drawing, rubber disc part shown is like '33-4)
    late mounts: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/.../Flathead_Trans-engine_rearmount_42-48car.jpg

And all that interchanges '32-48. For whatever trans, you want the rear mount parts to match year of frame, also the clutch lever. Trans itself swaps. Note that '32-6 the rubber is between two plates concentric with trans shaft, '37-48 rear mount is solid but sits on biscuits. Toss the '40 type casting, bolt in the '34 bits.

5. EDIT: Not quick enough on the ol' keyboard. Our resident knower of ALL things early Ford confirmed it! Thanks Bruce!

If you want a floor mount emergency brake, use a 36, it has an attaching flat for the 36 brake mount bracket.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My trans ears or tabs are cast as part of the case. Are you saying I need to wack'm off and bolt on a 32-36 style?

7. You should probably post a pic

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

9. There are bolts around the shaft where the U joint resides. Unbolt those and that entire rear piece comes off. I can see the seam in the pic

Runnin shine likes this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Dan, I see it now too and recognize it as the style that I've seen that removes.
    I was writing this while away. The trans is also buried. I was just starting to plan this part out.
    I should have cleaned it by now and would have saw this, I feel so stupid now.

11. No worries, it will help someone with a similar question. Keep us updated on the build!

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Dan this question was put forward in regards to my 32-4 Tudor. Build thread Hubba Hubba if you didn't already know. Thanks for everyone's quick responses on this subject, Wyatt.

Dan Hay likes this.
  13. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here you go Wyatt. First is 32 for k member, second is 35-36 and I'm not sure the last one. It might be 33-34 but not sure some help here would be nice from the teachers. Last is bob drake I guess the last mount may as we'll be 40-48

Runnin shine likes this.