Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Standard Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bonesy

bonesy

Wow! That really looks great. - congratulations!

2. Wow! That really looks great. - congratulations!

x2

3. VanHook

VanHook

Great job car looks and sounds awesome, and it came from my home town. I am going to have to do some research to see what I can find out about Wharton Motors and where they were located in town, I will let you know if I find out anything interesting. I would be willing to bet that the building they used as a dealership is still in town today. I know of a couple old buildings that were dealerships back in the day and are antique stores now. Thanks for sharing your build!
    Chad

4. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

Wow,looks great,hope to catch up wirh you out at the Round up.

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Looks marvelous and should prove to be a great road car for your next venture.
    Lynn

6. historynw

historynw

I dig the plaid seat covers, reminds me of our old 55 Chrysler interior. Killer sound on the flattie

7. Cory - it looks too cool! I love your style and I love the fact you share it all on here. Great stuff.

8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Any updates?? did you make it back in one piece?? ;)

9. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Greg

Well the '40 never even left for Austin.....the weather hadn't cooperated well up here this winter/spring, and I didn't have many miles on the car. I was off work the Friday before we were leaving, so I spent the day driving it in an attempt to get more shakedown miles on it and gain some confidence in the car. Later that day on our way to grab some dinner, the car developed a driveline vibration. Long story short, the rubber on center bearing in the torque tube got soft, and started to allow the driveshaft to whip. There was no way I could get parts, repair the car, and have the confidence to leave that following Tuesday. We took the roadster to Austin instead....so it looks like the '40 will have to wait until next year.

I did get the car fixed last week though. I picked up a NOS center bearing from Spadaro, and also replaced the front bearing while I had things apart. I also adjusted the ride height a little while the car was up in the air. It's been doing just fine since.

[​IMG]

10. Looks great! I just picked up a 3.54 rear end out of a 41 Ford, for my 41 convertible. I'm thinking I should go through it and replace that drive shaft bearing while it's out.

11. I really haven't missed my old 40 sedan until I saw this car...absolutely beautiful! HRP

12. Fordy Frd

Fordy Frd

Man that looks good! Sits right - love the Black wheels!

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I followed this build on your Instagram but had no clue you had a thread on here for it. Lots more detail on here.. Major bummer the sedan wasn't able to make Austin as it was one of the cars I was really looking forward to seeing.

Good to hear you've got it working just fine now. How much easier has that Columbia made highway speeds for you?

14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Chris - I may be wrong, but I don't think that anyone reproduces that bearing. They do reproduce the front bearing though. If you have any replacement center bearings, keep them!

Matt - the Columbia is awesome.....so nice that I wouldn't mind finding another one for a future project.

15. olskool34

olskool34

The weather up here has not been very good at all, bummer you could not take it to Austin. I think your tudor just might be the best looking I have ever seen. The stance is spot on and that black paint is just bad ass!

16. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Great stance! You need to come to LA for the LARS. Our weather is great. Sedans are welcome in the preferred parking.
    Lynn

17. Cshabang

Cshabang

Sits perfect!!! I told Ashley some time ago that you should do a "tech" on how you do your "wire looms"...Ive never had the chance to see one done that way in person

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Great job on this thing. It's perfect.

19. Randzz75

Randzz75

Awesome car! Just wondering if anyone has done a chop on this style Ford? I did a search but nothing came up. The stance on this car is perfect!

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Maybe on the next wiring project, I'll put together some steps showing how to do it. It looks intimidating, but it's actually pretty easy to do.

Honestly, I think a '39 deluxe / '40 has the most perfect proportions of any early Ford....and have yet to see a chop done on a sedan or coupe that improve the proportions of the car.

21. Really beautiful Tudor!! I agree that these cars need very little cosmetically to make a nice rod (couple of similar ones here in town I would love to own), but, having said that a chop can look pretty decent. A couple of my buddies did this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again I say beautiful '40!!

Dave

22. A couple from 'Toon town just to show I luv 'em: :eek::D

A friend's '40:
    [​IMG]

Another's '39:
    [​IMG]

Dave

23. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

....and stay for the 37th annual Forty Ford Day at La Palma Park in Anaheim on June 23. Lynn can keep you busy during the week, lots to see

24. Beautiful car. Nice work

25. rodncustomdreams: I'd really like to see more of that chopped sedan, it looks AWESOME!

26. CW, those images are pretty much all I have of my friend Gilles' chopped sedan as it's a fairly new build - but maybe I can convince the guys that they should do a post on it's construction..

Dave

27. OK thanks, will be looking forward to more info on that one............

28. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Our friend John Jackson of NotStock Photography was in town, and crashing at our place this past week. We took the '40 out yesterday and he took this cool rolling shot:

[​IMG]

29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Cory, the car looks great and that picture is very cool.