Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Standard Tudor Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Quick update.....

I picked up some original plug wire tubes to use on the motor. I did this same setup on my roadster. The Navarro intake doesn't have one of the bolt holes for the tubes to mount, so (like with the roadster) I cut the feet off and repositioned everything. The tubes are lower, further inboard and shifted for the holes to line up better with the cylinders.

[​IMG]

For the coil mount, I decided to do something similar to my roadster as well. I made a bracket that mounts to the generator boss of the intake (which isn't being used).

[​IMG]

The tubes, coil mount, and oil filler/breather stand are going to get painted a low gloss black. I'm planning on painting the block the stock green color, and leaving the intake and heads just in their cast finish.

On a side note, I did pick up the correct radiator mounts this week. They're hooked to a front crossmember, so I'll have one for sale soon (for anyone needing one).

2. It's your details that really set your work apart from others,
    and the killer end product of course!
    Nice work Cory.

3. I noticed in the pic of the new springs that the eyes of the front spring are not reversed... just wondering why since reversing the eyes seems to be the first thing most rodders do to the front spring.

4. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

WOW I almost thought someone stole my 40. Our cars are very similar, except the v8 60. Black with black wall tires.

5. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

Thats an early model 40 with that style of ash tray door. The knobs were on the bottom on the early cars with the push/pull ash trays. They moved the knob to the top sometime mid production when they introduced the pull-out style ashtray.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Since I narrowed the stock spring width to accommodate the narrower axle, I didn't want to narrow the second spring more than needed to fit between reversed eyes. I got what drop I need by dearching the front spring pack.

7. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Before I sent the intake, carbs, and distributor off to H&H, I drilled the bottom of the intake for a vacuum line. I'm adding a vacuum distribution block down below the firewall to supply the accessories on the car (wipers, Columbia, and SW heater). The vacuum line runs under the intake, and exits the fuel pump stand area through a bulkhead fitting.

Since the manifold is dual plane, I'm only pulling vacuum from 4 cylinders.....and I'm not entirely sure yet if the engine is going to create enough vacuum. My distribution block has an extra port to plumb in a canister or pump to assist the system if necessary. I'll see what kind of vacuum the engine creates once it's in the car.

[​IMG]

I got the radiator mounts off a crossmember I bought this week too. I got them installed in my frame, then sat the radiator and front fenders in place for a quick mockup to make sure everything looked good. My green bible shows that the lower radiator pan and side air deflectors are different between a 60 and 90hp car, but it looks like I can just modify them to work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Are we expecting a family Danny said you were getting a c-dan

9. Tank

Tank

Awesome man. I love it! Saw the pics your wife posted on Facebook when you guys scored the sedan. Beautiful car, and an original V8-60 car with the 3.5" wheels to boot! Love what you are doing with it!

10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

No.....no family.....just another car added to the collection. If I get this done in time, I think we may drive this to the Round Up instead of the roadster.

11. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The Columbia showed up today. I got it uncrated, and started assembling the torque tube, wishbone, and driveshaft. Before the torque tube went on, I installed one of Danny's (hotrodpro) torque tube seal kits. I've used one previously on Dan's tudor last spring. If you haven't used one of these, you should. It's a fine piece.

Once that was done, I slid it under the car, and pushed it up to ride height. The rearend has some lower shock mounts welded onto the bells. They're actually going to be long, but there's enough material that I can cut them down, and reshape them to look a little nicer.

One things for sure, with the car this low, it's going to be hard to route 2" exhaust up and over the rearend......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. bonesy

bonesy

Great looking rear - color me jealous.

13. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I love a black '40 sedan. What a nice car.

14. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

Neat car you are building!

15. This thread is spot on!,,everything you have done takes this 40 one of the top builds this year. HRP

16. Subscribed.......to another great build thread!

17. fordman1

fordman1

Hot damn that is a great start!

18. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Mike finished up the engine, and fired it up last week. It should be on its way to Michigan here pretty soon. He sent me a photo of it - it's actually black, but the instagram filter made it look like it's blue:

[​IMG]

The suspension pieces came back from the powder coater. Anything that was new, or original and reworked got blasted and coated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last thing I had to do suspension-wise was fab up some lower stabilizer bar mounts. I made a simple gusseted bracket, and made some links to attach them to the bar.
    [​IMG]

I lapped the rear drums to the axles, and installed the drums. The rear is still mocked up at ride height. I only have the main leaf and a few supporting leaves in there right now with a block holding it at ride height. I did this so I could have an accurate environment when building the exhaust - which will probably start tomorrow or Tuesday. The front only has an empty engine block over the axle for mockup. Overall, I think the car is going to settle out nice once all the weight is on the frame.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind it just has the empty block. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty low!
    [​IMG]

19. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Stay off 8 mile road with that road hugger! ha! A very nice ride for next summer.

20. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Wowee-wow-wow!!!!!

21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Lynn - there's a lot of rough roads around here besides 8 mile!

22. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

I like it better lowered but without the white spots all over it !!

23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looks great. Love it.

24. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

nice... nice... nice!!!!!

25. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Finished mounting and adjusting the Columbia controls tonight. I still need to run the plumbing to the rearend, but that shouldn't be too hard. The exhaust fab starts tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTJJ1360118103.966101.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone

26. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

A quick update....

I built the exhaust last weekend, and painted it earlier this week. I reinstalled it, up to the trans the other night. I also buttoned up the rear end (finished the spring pack), and installed it for the final time. I still need to run the vacuum lines, which will probably take place this weekend.

I pulled the side cover off of the trans to do a quick inspection, and to put a new gasket on it for good measure. It looked really clean inside, but I wouldn't have excepted otherwise considering it only spent 52k miles behind a V8-60. The engine arrives tomorrow, so that should find its way into the frame rails pretty quick.

I cleaned up the gauge cluster over the past couple of nights, and repainted the cover panel since it was discolored and flaking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Topsterguy

Topsterguy

28. 4tford

4tford

Man, I love what you have done the car looks right on!