Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Spring in a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ridin dirty, Aug 17, 2009.

1. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I have a 40 ford front spring for my 30 A coupe that I got off of a fellow Hamb. My question is how many leaves do you use to make a decent ride? Someone must know the magic number. Also making one of those 32 Ford grill shells from a 51 GMC outter shell....sorta looks like one but not really. I need to improve on it before i will post some pics. My coupe is slowly heading towards a hot rod instead of a rat.

2. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I personally would not go with less than 3 leaves. If it's not low enough have Superior Spring reverse the eye. But then it's probably cheaper to just buy an aftermarket spring. As for the grille shell. let's see some pics.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you do indeed have a 1940 spring for the front of your model "A", you've got a couple of problems to deal with first. The 1940 spring will be 2" wide, where the model "A" crossmember is set up to take a 13/4" wide spring. It just won't fit up into the crossmember. Also a 1940 front spring is alot wider than a model "A". I'm usually all for using what you have but that's not a good combination. To actually answer your question, with an actual '28 - '34 type spring usually 5 leaves is a good starting point, figuring a v8 engine.

4. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Im Z-ing the rear part of the frame so im not going to use the original X member. Why wont the spring work?

5. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

With a 28-34 spring is there any particular order for which leaves to remove?

6. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Sorry for the first post my mistake for not being clear. Im using a 40 front spring in the rear of the car. I dont want the car to be to low but i dont want a spring over either.

7. You're talking about using the 40 front spring in the rear of the A?

Looks like need louvers is talking about using it in the front.

I haven't used a 40 front spring in the rear, but several HAMBrs have done so and others are familiar with doing it.

You should be able to find some posts by searching.

Fwiw, here's a couple pics of a 40 Ford rear spring (2 1/4" wide) pack in the rear of a 31 A roadster on a 32 frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll have to use a custom length main leaf and the 40 2nd leaf won't fit since it's too long to fit between the new and shorter main leaf.

The springs shown in the pic seem to be about right for the weight of the car, but as you can see it's set up to make changes easy.
    Changes being a key component of having a well set up hot rod so now is the time to set the car up so things can be easily changed after the car is up and running.

Note that there is a 1" aluminum spacer in one pic to raise the car up a bit.

This pic shows how low the car is without the spacer.

[​IMG]

Running 235/75R-15 tires on 6" wide wheels and a 56" wide Ford 9" axle.

8. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

I think 'needin louvres ?' assumed,as I did that you were trying to use the spring on the front.But,from your reply ,it seems you're using it on the rear.Is that correct?

9. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

C9,beet me to it!Shit ,I'll have to speed up my typing!

10. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I have a '47 Ford Front spring on the back of my A... Can't speak of ride yet, I'm a few more weeks away from that one...
    Jay

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya I did assume, but we all know what happens when you do that right?! Yes a forty front spring will work on the back of an "a", and I have done that before. You still need to know that it will be a different width than most aftermarket rear spring hangers, and all early Ford rear hangers. C9 put in his post that early Fords ran a 21/4" rear spring and he is right. It also is allot narrower than an early ford rear spring. The last one I did that way I ended up using 40 1/2" spring perch centers, I believe that most 35-41 rears ran aprox. 48" centers. Once again I started with five leaves, and ended up using six total. Thecustomer has been driving the wheels off this thing since we let it off the jacks in October of last year and it rides well.

12. A bit more information.

These rear spring brackets are a SoCal item.
    Nicely done they are.

[​IMG]

44" apart.

13. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

What shackle kit do you use? 40 Front shackel?

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes the forty front shackles will work as long as you "narrow" the spring perches to fit them. The So-Cal perches (hangers) that c9 showed are top quality and the same that I use when hanging a cross spring. But the "tube" that the top of the shackle swings in will be 2 1/4" wide not the 2" you need. Before you install them have a machine shop take off 1/4", and use the forty front shackles and all will be well!

15. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Thanks. I have been searching for the right combo. Im new at this type of car building. Im use to the muscle car bolt it together and go syndrome.

16. Standard 2 1/4" shackles.

As needs louvers notes, you'll need to machine a bit off the end if you use a 2" wide spring.

The brackets are 3/8" thick so making your own similar to what's shown shouldn't be too difficult.

If you look close at the lower shock mount you'll see they are Pete & Jakes/SoCal coilover mounts.

An easy way to go for shocks and if I decided to go to coilovers it's a total bolt-on.

I doubt if I'll go to a coilover, the leaf springs offer much more tunability and travel.

17. Tommy R

Tommy R

I'm in a similar situation and will be using a 2" wide '40 front spring on the rear of my A coupe (Deuce rails). I just got off the phone with Posie's. Their spring hanger kit is designed for 2-1/4" springs and comes with shackles. But they said they could swap the shackles to 2" versions to match my spring free of charge. Nice! They are even going to see if they can make the hangers in a 2" version, as well. That might be a bit pricey, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? ;) I'll reply back here when I get a reply from Posie's.... So far, they've been a pleasure to deal with.