Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 rearend +32 ford frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canadian Eh!, May 27, 2004.

1. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Hello.
    It's been a while since my last post, but, I've finally started on the 32.
    I'm installing a 40 Ford rearend and spring. Anyone know of any mods I'll have to make to the spring or crossmember for it to fit?
    I believe that the spring placement on the 40 (behind the axle) will compensate for the curve on a stock 32 spring...am I right?
    Thanks for all the help.

2. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Just grind the straight 40 spring to fit in the curved 32 crossmember and you will be OK.Take your time and then chamfer all edges.Hope this helps.

3. Canadian Eh!

Canadian Eh!

Thanks for the help!!

4. ...

Attached Files:

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

my roadster has a later straight spring crossmember. I have no idea what year.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Tommy, I think you can adapt any of the rear crossmembers from '36-'40. Anyone know for sure?

Frank

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Also you can take those crossmembers and flatten them by taking wedge shaped cuts out an rewelding them to give a flat crossmember which significantly lowers the back.

Frank

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Tommy, I think you can adapt any of the rear crossmembers from '36-'40. Anyone know for sure?

Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're right.

9. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

Ask hotroddrummer about this one -- They've (Ionia Hot Rod Shop) built several deuce chassis up there that use flattened '40 crossmembers. Lowers the rear and allows you to use the later straight spring. Slick deal.

Steve.