Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 grille repair with muggy weld super alloy 1

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jermo, Oct 8, 2017.

1. I figured I’d share my experience with the muggy weld super alloy one repair rods. After researching their products and watching lots of videos I decided I’d try my hand at repairing the center section of a 40 deluxe grille. I’ve been collecting decent used parts but had a hard time finding a good drivers side center chrome piece. I had one with strait fins but it was in 3 pieces so nothing to loose really if it didn’t work out.
    [​IMG]
    I used a dremel with a small cut off wheel and back cut a 45 along the inside edge of the break on all pieces. I tried to not disturb the outside edge other than a quick cleaning hoping it would keep the pieces lined up.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Per directions I dipped the rod in the supplied flux and coated the area to be soldered, then heated with a propane torch from the underside. It only took about a minute for the flux to start turning brown. I layed the rod in the cut, teased with the torch underneath, and the rod melted really nice into the void. I wish I’d had another hand to get a video of this!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Some layed out smoother than others but it smooths out easily. I still have to smooth these out but I’m pretty happy with it so far. Everything feels sturdy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The flux is what’s dark looking and cleans off fairly easy. A little cleaning and it should be on to cleaning up the outer parts!
    Hope this helps someone on the fence with this stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOU WELLS, dwollam, 302GMC and 8 others like this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice job and a great save.

3. Works great on broken carburetors........

Hnstray likes this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Some questions I have are can it be plated, how will it hold up to the stresses during the fit to car process and will it withstand on the road vibration?
    Looks good otherwise.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Will be watching others experience with this.

6. They say it can be plated...They claim many chrome shops have been using it for years for pitting repair and such. I did give mine a little hand pressure after it cooled to make sure it was secure. Nothing popped. I’m waiting on the trims to come from macs before I assemble it tight. I’ll let you know if something breaks with bolt tension

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger and rust runner like this.
  7. Wow. Didn't know you can plate it.

I will say for off topic 1970 Torino GT hide-away headlight grilles, as well as 1970 and 1971 off topic 'Cuda grilles .... the Muggy Weld product line has been used extensively with fantastic results. It's near impossible to find NOS grilles for either scenario model listed ^^^. Pot metal casualties.

Muggy Weld is great stuff. Thanks for the post !!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great tech! Thanks for sharing it. Please let us know how it performs through plating installation in the car.

9. belair

belair

Good work, good save.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Subscribing so that I can keep an eye on this.

11. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Excellent! I've been curious about Muggy Weld but haven't tried it yet.
    Thanks for the write up. I hope it holds up to the plating process.

Bobby

12. I have herd from hands on guys that this stuff works great and can be chromed
    Vic

13. choptop40

choptop40

Great product , just about anyone can handle a propane torch.....

14. junkman8888

junkman8888

For the stuff to work it is essential that you follow the directions, to include using stainless steel wire brushes instead of plain steel wire brushes.