Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 ford with quick change removing drums (12" Lincoln)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fabmancoe, Mar 7, 2020.

1. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

I have a question on removing drums from 40 ford rearend with halibrand center and Lincoln 12x 2 brakes. I have an official hub/drum puller and the hub/drum popped out about a 1/2" easily then tight again...same on other side. Brake shoes are backed off completely...I can see the shoes and they are not against the drums. Any insight would be appreciated

2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Do it have drum retainers in case you break an axle?

3. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

That what it seems like but I am not clear how to access or remove them. Does anyone know about these on this set-up? Thank you

4. Photos might help here. I know when I use the Ford Hub puller I remove the axle nut and washer, then put the nut back on the axle only backwards so I protect the threads and cotter key hole. Once the hub pops loose the Nut stops the drum from coming the rest of the way off. Sounds silly but you did remove the nut and puller, right? Past that there shouldn't be anything stopping it from coming off. Can you still turn the drum?

fabmancoe likes this.

5. As soon as I hit post my memory kicked in. Some 40+ years ago I had one hang up. It was the drive key. It had started to follow the hub out but dropped down into the Axle slot and wedged at the threads and stopped things there. I took a small drift and went up the key slot in the hub and drove the keyway back up and the drum slid the rest of the way off. Might be worth looking into.

fabmancoe likes this.
  6. Maybe it has safety hubs. Take off the backing plate bolts and see.

fabmancoe likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, those safety rings used a couple of the backing plate bolts to attach them. Do two of the four bolts look different than the others? Maybe longer? Those are probably the ones that hold the safety rings on.

fabmancoe likes this.
  8. The safety hub is placed over the hub and then the ring is welded in place around the hub; once installed the hub can not slide off the housing if an axle breaks. As alchemy says; these have nuts vs the stock square head backing plate bolts. (the hub in ct32ford's picture has studs pressed in slip off drums)
    safety hubs.jpg safety hub in place.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Thanks so much for the input Gents...this was making my head hurt. It had one extra long stud thru- the backing plate and a custom made shoulder bolt/stud on the second one which was also for a custom shock mount. So it has safety hubs similar to the last photo shown but a little different. This car has some special features and was a true sleeper car..it is amazing to see how resourceful the builders were in this period before you just got on your phone and ordered stuff
    This car is a 40 ford coupe and was featured in Hot Rod August 1958 (Subtle 6) it has a halibrand rear 332 Jimmy inline., 3-2s, Vertex & Caddy LaSalle trans, I am in the process of bringing it back to life...been in my family for over 55 years. I am preserving the underbody re-freshed the Jimmy and leaving the rest (exterior) as it was in the Mag. 62 years ago.
    Thanks again for the information, I really appreciate. I will attempt to attach some photos... IMG_20200309_092428939_HDR 40 ford Coupe.jpg IMG_20200309_092447549_HDR 40 Ford Mag shot.jpg

10. I like the Total package and that it's been in the family so long. Sounds like it passed on to the right Care Taker. I find it very interesting to see it in 40 Delux trim and dash with an obvious 39 Windshield and wiper arm. Must be a very low count Vin number. Good old Henry using up the last of last years pieces.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

Is it really a 40, or is it a 39? Lots of easy to bolt on stuff could make it look like a 40. But I can't see a reason a fella would rework a 40 body to take a 39 windshield frame.

12. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

You guys are very observant...the car is a 39 body with 40 everything else. The drip edges were also removed as well the trunk handle. IMG_20200309_124206754_HDR Car shot.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  13. My question is that with the 40 dash installed they also make it so the Windshield would open? I've looked at that job a few times but not as of yet tackled that job.

14. alchemy

alchemy

You are thick with 39/40's there!

15. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Pist-n-broke,
    This car has what appears to be a custom dash modified using a 40 dash with an added rolled filler panel and SW gauges, it was well done as well most of the other mods on the car. The crank out windshield does work in this car.
    Another innovative feature on this car is the quickchange with relocated spring in front of the rearend then reversing of the Lincoln backing plates to accommodate the mod...I am in the process of cleaning this up a bit IMG_20200309_140436355_HDR DASH Panel.jpg IMG_20200309_124703170_HDR QUICK CHANGE.jpg

16. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Alchemy, Yeah, kinda have a 40 addiction...could be worse I suppose...good thing it's not booze or wild women or I would be drunk & more broke

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I see that you still have the 40 pu project. Making progress?

19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Just realized this evening that the question that brought me to post regarding your car several years ago was answered in your post. Had to go look again to see how the spring was relocated to the front of the rear end.

fabmancoe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Better late than never...only a 8-9 year delay. The car is actually coming along well. Paint on underside soon then back together

21. Could you post some detail photos of the engine?

22. fabmancoe

fabmancoe

Robert, The engine is currently out and has been re-sleeved and ready to assemble and install but here is a couple shots prior to removal

Attached Files:

23. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yes, please...