Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 Ford trans mount same as Mercury?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rem, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Rem

Rem

My '40 Tudor frame was hacked about to fit a Cad V8 and Lasalle way back when, and has suffered some "adjustment" to the centre X-member and trans mount by means of a gas wrench.

Is a '40 Mercury transmission mount piece the same (or close enough) to fit straight into the hole in my Ford chassis? For that matter, are the Ford and Merc transmissions the same for that year? And the rear mounting bracket?

Thanks.

2. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I have parted out severel 39/40 mercs and the transmissions and mounts are the same. I don't remember if the entire x member is the same though. it may be longer on the merc but i don't think so.Torque tube and driveshaft are longer on the merc. I have a complete 40 Merc frame if you need any measurements.Bob

3. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Unless you guys have some inside information, Just look at the Merc rear bearing retainer(99A 7085) looks quite like Ford's '42-'48(21-7085) and is much narrower than the '37-'41 Ford (78-7085) bearing retainer or trans mount as you call it. The Merc retained the two hockey pucks and I don't know when they changed or if they ever did change to the one piece "trans mount" as Ford did for '42. Ford loved the one piece so that they used it for a decade. So..if the '40 Ford frame has not been modified at the rear mount then the Merc part will likely be too narrow. Luckily the 78-7085 was also used for years also and is common as dirt. Take note that the Merc part has the elongated mounting holes typical with hockey puck use. Round mounting holes on the '42 mount are for the carriage bolt mounting on the one piece. Good Luck: Fred A

4. Rem

Rem

Thanks guys, that helps. The part advertised looks to take the two puck-style mounts.

Fred A, is the one-piece mount a kind of Y- or U-shaped piece that bolts to the two ears on the 7085 part, with a single mounting point to the frame/crossmember?

5. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

[Fred A, is the one-piece mount a kind of Y- or U-shaped piece that bolts to the two ears on the 7085 part, with a single mounting point to the frame/crossmember?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it mounts with two bolts to the frame's mini crossmember and two points on the bearing retainer.

6. Rem

Rem

Thank you.