Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford stock column modification-update #3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, May 21, 2018.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1838.jpg Doing another 40 and modifying the stock column to work with an auto trans.
    I use a 55-57 Chevy shaft and a double D shaft sleeved and welded by a certified shop. This allows the use of a 55-57 top bearing for the horn -wire comes out behind column drop. This then allows the use of a 40 style wheel with splines and a horn contact.. The stock short shift arm is used only and a detent plate is made to hold gears in proper place-it is made of 1/8" steel and held on with one bolt to the collar-does not move or bend. Notches are not cut until hooked up in car. The shifter shaft is drilled and tapped for a 5/16" grade 8 bolt cut and shaped on the top (red piece) It locks in park, rides high for reverse then drops a bit for neutral and a bit more for drive and a bit more for 2nd and low-no relying on trans detents only for shifter selection. Attached is a photo of one done a few years ago,you can see the detent plate and it is locked in park. The shift indicator is a small LED behind the speaker grill-only seen when key is on. Have done several this way and work well and look stock. Will post more pics if there is any interest.
    The Ford shaft is about .764, the Chevrolet is .750 thus stock 40 bushings are a bit loose.
    New delrin bushings are made for the bottom of the column and one down inside about 3" from the top-this one has a notch for the horn wire to go thru and out behind the column drop then a 55-57 top bearing with horn wire is installed.

MVC-015S.JPG MVC-014S.JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

Yea, gonna need more, I have one of those to do and no clue

thanks

3. Johnny99

Johnny99

More please.

Thank you.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Yes. And please make sure to show those Chevy parts and how that horn works.

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

6. 100% Matt

100% Matt

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I'm already lost,,,,,,

Which is normal

8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MVC-017S.JPG will post more pics with shaft,bushings, etc Going to have him make a couple of more floor/column plates as well.
    going to do another one for my painter in a few weeks as well

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    LOU WELLS, teach'm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice job subscribed

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

another work of art, Tim

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More pics-the floor plate and bushing-one has no shoulder and goes down inside the tube from the top-it has a groove for the wire to go thru.. The 55-57 Chevy top bearing with horn wire installed in top of column. The bottom bushing is held in by the pin on the shifter bracket. The shaft shown is a 55-57 shaft from Borgeson with the double d section spliced on. Had a few bushings and floor plates made for future if needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Kiwi 4d, RICH B, teach'm and 2 others like this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great tech Olscrounger!

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks for sharing this. Nice job.

14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THX guys. Have done a few with the Ford keyed top shaft as well to use a stock wheel but the Chevy shaft must be turned down a bit to .750 where is goes thru the chevy top bearing. As said, the Ford shaft is about .764
    After install the notches are cut for the detent plate and a narrow collar is bolted around the shaft below the bottom bushing to prevent the shaft from being pulled out of the steering joint in addition to the screws on the joint with small indents in the DD shaft for safety.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure to install the chevy bearing retainer on the shaft-spring must be cut down to fit under the wheel. I put a piece of cardboard between bell and wheel to prevent scratches and nicks-makes the gap right on as well. The vintique wheel has the hole for the horn contact. I have never found a contact that was right-too short. Shown are two. One is a mid 60's chevy with a piece of a fuse holder added, the other is made of pieces from a fuse holder and a horn wire that came with the button you see-both fit tight and make good contact. When done it hooks to the cap wire shown and is held in place with a small plastic clip from one of the steering puller holes.

Attached Files:

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Column is ready and dash as well-you can barely see the gear indicator and elec fan light behind the speaker grill. Cluster was done by Williamson's Instruments-very nice work. Have a couple of clusters and clocks redone by Lee Kelly as well before he retired for future projects. Car to arrive next week-then it's full speed ahead!! At 75 gotta hustle-full assy required-expect it will take 8+ weeks minus upholstery. Garnish moldings out for woodgrain-still looking for a set of front bumper irons for a std.
    MVC-032S.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  17. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice thread Tim!

18. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I like your setup, if I would have had shift arms, I would have used one of them instead of making a new arm. I converted a 51 Ford column over for an Olds trans, mine is hidden because of a recessed firewall. I built a support off the frame to support the column. You did a nice job. 51 column has built in turn signals. DSCN3145.JPG

olscrounger likes this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice!! I have a bunch of shift arms if someone needs one