Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford steering wheel to a chev column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by macs67, Nov 18, 2011.

1. macs67

macs67
    from oregon

Anyone know of an adaptor or a way to use my 40 ford p/u steering wheel on a gm column any such animal?

Sorry didnt mean to post twice

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Here is a original 40 Ford wheel adapted to a GM column. It was done by a friend of mine ... but in fact ... the wheel is just too large for a 32 and most likely a 40 pickup.

I suggest buying the 40 Ford " Lecarra " repro wheel. Fits the GM column and the horn works also.

I did.

[​IMG]

3. I'm told the taper in the Ford wheel is pretty close or the same as the outside of the splines on the GM column, so it is possible to cut a key way in the GM shaft and mount the wheel right over the splines. The trick is working out the horn...

I'm trying to work out a similar set up with my Merc accessory wheel on a GM tilt column. The wheel goes on fine, so I am just to working out the horn ring set up.

4. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Looks like just the right size to me. Bitchin' steering wheel just like it is. :)

5. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I took the tapered end and then cut it off and machined it down to 3/8 OD and then took the tilt shaft off a Chevy and cut it off and drilled a 3/8 pilot ant put them together and welded it then machine it back smooth and used a 39 banjo wheel on my Model A with the tilt Chevy column

6. I have a '77 Monte Carlo tilt column in my '38 Ford pickup with the stock '38 steering wheel. Shaft taper is the same, just cut a keyway in the shaft. I cut a thin aluminum disc the diameter of the top of the Monte Carlo column with a center hole that just cleared the shaft, expoxied it to the back side of the '38 wheel, and then used body filler to shape the back side of the wheel to meet up with the GM column. For the horn, I wired the old starter button up to blow the horn.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am sure you know they make a 40 wheel that fits the GM column. But if you want to use yours then you need to modify the top shaft of the GM column to fit the spline or add a splined shaft to you wheel. You will need to drill out the wheel and install the splined bushing from Flaming River or Borgenson.