Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40' Ford steering in a A frame.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sodakmini, Mar 27, 2015.

1. sodakmini

sodakmini

Soooo... I have a 40' Ford steering box and a Model A frame. Has this been done before? Done a lot of searching and no real answers. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Jimmy

Jimmy

I am using a '40 steering box in my Model A. I made a bracket that has it turned 90 degrees so that the sector shaft sticks out under the side of the frame. I re-indexed the pitman arm so it points straight up and the drag link attaches to the drivers side spindle. Rod & Custom Magazine's coverage Jim Jacob's restoration of the Niekamp roadster shows a similar setup using a 1935 or 36 steering box, which is what inspired me to install the 1940 box in my car.

bct, markin59, patmanta and 1 other person like this.
  3. metal man

metal man

I've done this many times, although I prefer to stick with the original cross steer configuration for a cleaner look and less chance of bumpsteer. It's a piece of cake . Be sure to mock up the shaft up top at the column drop in the exact place you want it, and you won't need any u-joints. Do not mount the box without the body on the car and bolted in place. I make a paper pattern and cut out a mount\ box plate about 10" long from 3\8 thick steel. That way its thick enough to drill and tap (fine thread) for the mounting bolts.
    Depending on your engine choice, you may have to sink the plate into the frame 1\2" or so to avoid contact between the steering shaft and cylinder head.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    markin59, Slowpoke57 and patmanta like this.
  4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

@Jimmy do you have a picture of this setup? I've got a couple 40 boxes myself.

5. metal man

metal man

I have seen, somewhere on here, pictures of a '40 box used as sidesteer. I wish I had saved it . it really was pretty nice. A search should turn it up.

6. sodakmini

sodakmini

Hoping someone would have a way that's not cross steer. I like pictures...

7. I have a 41 box in my 31 Model A (Avatar), I used it the way it was designed , cross-steer, works smoothly and easily.

8. Anderson

Anderson

I did it on my T. I shaved off all of the factory mounting ears and welded on a new mounting flange, pointing the pitman arm up. Neikamp roadster was the same way. I don't have any pictures on my computer to upload but they are in my build thread here.

9. metal man

metal man

Why are you opposed to cross steer?

10. sodakmini

sodakmini

Unless I'm wrong. But the cross bar would run diagonally from the box to passenger side wheel? Just seems odd and unclean if that's the right word. I'm ok with it. Just like a straight ahead option better. Hope that made sense.

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

cross steer is traditional

12. metal man

metal man

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but with the cross steer configuration the drag link and tie rod would both go across under the engine mostly out of sight. They should both be level in the middle of the suspension travel. When I do one, i put the steering box as far forward as i can get it , with the goal being to have the drag link and tie rod parallel when looking down at them from above ( when the steering box is in the middle of its travel) It's the cleaner look of the two for sure. Also, with cross steer, as long as you have the correct length spring ( good shackle angle), and the drag link is close to level, you won't have any bump steer concerns. It's a little more complicated with the sidesteer and a lot of people building cars don't get it.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it the way you want, either way will be cool and adequate, but if it were mine, I would use it in the cross steer fashion.
    Some people prefer the look of the exposed drag link and pitman arm with side steer.

markin59 likes this.
  13. metal man

metal man

It sure is . Both ways are. My dad drove a Model A to school. He graduated in 1959. His A had a ' 40 steering box in it (cross steer).

14. sodakmini

sodakmini

Thanks guys. Got a bit before I mount it. Just trying to get this all planned best I can. This helps a lot.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an interesting thread as I have been thinking about putting cross steer on my Model A Victoria. It will be full fendered so nothing is going to show one way or the other.

16. I used a 40 cross steer setup in my 33 pickup....modified the 40 steering box mount to fit the 33 frame. [very close in width to a model A] Flathead steering clearance was solved by cutting and welding a pair of tubular headers. Was smooth as silk and no bump steer.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

This is all quite informative. I have a '32 5W that I haven't decided on the steering yet. I have an original '32 box, a '51 F-1 box, and a '40 car box. I heard that the F-1 box is the most desirable but I'm not sure. Comments? I hope this isn't considered hi-jacking,

18. sodakmini

sodakmini

If use an F1 if I had one

markin59 likes this.
  19. metal man

metal man

Those are all good choices. The '32 is obviously a bolt in ,which is nice, but it is the lesser quality of the three as far as lasting without being sloppy and having to work at the steering wheel on a straight road. Ford made a lot of progress in that department in the thirties, and it's no accident that driveability got better when they went to cross steer in 1935.
    The truck box is a much better box than the '32, still sidesteer but requires a fair amount of fabrication to install...just as much as the '40 box. If you want sidesteer I would use the truck box.
    I already described installation of the '40 box as cross steer, and I really like it. It's simple, clean, and drives great. Given your choices, that's the way I would go, but it's really just personal preference. I prefer cross steer.

20. Jimmy

Jimmy

I took a couple of snapshots this morning. What I did was cut a plate the box could bolt to, then notched it to go around the bottom edge of the frame. With the steering box mocked up I adjusted the bracket to fit, welded on and added a gusset. It clears center dump headers and will probably clear stock manifolds. Not sure about any other header styles. This puts the sector shafts below the frame rail and above my split wishbone but it easily clears it at full suspension travel.

Attached Files:

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks a lot for all that info. Since I'm going to be running full fendered I will take a long hard look at the cross steering idea. Nobody will be able to see it anyway and if they do then they will have a bigger worry than my set-up. LOL. I was going to give the '40 parts away. Do you know anywhere I might get the bell at the top of the '40 column in the truck version? I'll be running a stick. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  22. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i have used 40 steering boxes in 2 mdl A's and2 homebuilt rods. they are cheap and steer great. both A's are cross steer, very easy instal. others i turned 90 deg and boxed aC in the frame and made a c clamp to hold in position then welded a plate to the frame to bolt the other box bolts to. file out pitman arm to stand verticle. both are flathead cars, box is below back exh. outlet, works great. am building a 27 T now that has this steering, od that the original ford cross steer draglink on both cars were perfict lingth on the 2 hotrods. have F-1 box on another A and the 40 box is the easiest to steer.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So are you saying that the '40 box is pretty much a bolt in deal or a lot of fabbing on a '32 frame?

24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Reverse the 40 box... It's the same internally as f-1 ... Then the pitman arm will go the right way instead of up..

metal man likes this.
  25. sodakmini

sodakmini

Not sure I understand what you mean by reversing it.

26. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Just like reversing a corvair box... Steering shaft now comes out the 4 bolt flange

27. sodakmini

sodakmini

Aahhh I see. I think that's the plan. Thanks!

28. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If you don't want to make it ...you can swipe the 4 bolt flange off a 32-36 box ... No fab needed

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  29. metal man

metal man

Not a bolt in at all, but it is a pretty simple fabrication project. You would follow the steps in post #3 or something similar.

30. mullskull

mullskull

Ditto on this...

I running a 40 box the same way in my full fendered olds powered 31 ccpu..
    Really simple to do, and handles great... I had to shorten and bend my pitman arm for my application.. Absolutely no bump steer - Make sure you have your body and engine mounted to the frame so everything is where ya want it.. & Take your time to get the geometry right and It's like having power steering!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!