Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 ford steering box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryanyeskie, Sep 2, 2018.

1. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

can a 40 ford steering box work with a model a? I know i would need to weld the A flange to the box. Just want to know if it's a good box to use?

Thanks. I wouldn't ask if I didn't know!

2. 55styleliner

55styleliner

It can be used with other modifications, it is not bolt in by any means. You will have to use cross steer, so later spindles as well. Also I believe the column is too long and will need to be shortened.

3. I would consider the '40 box to be a poor choice, mainly because it is a cross steering box. Given time and money anything can be made to work. The best choice is probably the F-100 pickup box from the early fifties Ford pickup. Check out Randy Gross over on fordbarn and see what he does for the Model A guys. Typical comments at: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250444&highlight=gross . Also do a search for his name over there and you will find a lot of very positive comments on his product. What engine are you going to run?

Charlie Stephens