Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Standard headlight trim rings--questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rrbrucea, May 25, 2011.

1. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

My dad had these around in his garage for YEARS, probably since the '60s. Which is odd since he never owned a '40 Ford.

My questions are, are these gennie Ford parts? There is no Ford script on them anywhere, there is only one number--961--cast into the part beneath the headlight, and the word "Perfection" is cast into the ring above the headlight opening on the front of the character lines. Can't imagine they are repops since dad had them around so long, but guess anything is possible...

Also, am I allowed to ask "what are they worth?" here? I'm not looking to make a killing, would just love to see them get used!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I think those are sealed beam conversion kits for the 37-38 and the 39 std Fords. They are not 40 Ford std or deluxe

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  3. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Ah, okay... shows what I know! Guess that would explain why the wiring was included! Also why there is no Ford script... Most likely they'll just become wall art for the garage. Thanks!

4. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Those are aftermarket rings. Electodyne or something like that. Anyway, here's a good use for them. Nice wall hanger clock.

Attached Files:

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah HA!! thanks, now I know what the damn things are that were sold to me as '40 HLR's.

6. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Dude, that's a fantastic idea! Thanks!

7. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

You're welcome. Not a big deal to do. Those clocks are cheap and with a bit of trimming, they work out fine. I just noticed I must have the DeLux version with turn signal glass. lol

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

X's 2

9. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

I think I'll just polish mine up a little and keep the patina and everything and add the clock...

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

There were dozens of different styles and makers of sealed beam adapter kits for pre-40 cars with in-the-fender bulb/reflector headlamps. Some were extremely ornate and chrome or nickle plated, other were plain smooth and usually painted black or grey. The kits came with sockets for the new lamps, had provision for parklamps in them up top or on the bottom, had bracketry to install them, gaskets if necessary and bulb retainer rings.
    Complete kits are hard-to-find these days but used to bring a good dollar at swap meets.

11. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Must be what this is because in addition to the wiring you see in the photos there is some mounting hardware included in a small bag. Still got to wonder why my dad ended up with this stuff. He owned lots of cars over the years, but no '37 to '40 Fords that I'm aware of...

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It just happens, the stuff is laying around cheap or free and then you own it and wonder why for 35 years.

13. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

It happens indeed. My old man was nothing if not a horse-trader. Shoot, he traded patients treatments for cars, TVs, mechanical work, storage garages, you name it. Guess the real question would be why didn't he find a car to put them on? LOL!

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We all keep thinking...someday...someday!

15. Muttley

Muttley

There was a set of those on my '39 Standard when I bought it, the car is long gone but I still have those trim pieces hanging in the garage. They looked terrible on the car but are pretty cool as garage art.