Register now to get rid of these ads!

'40 Ford repro drums...no lug studs long enough...huh?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Berdoo John, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

I bought 1940-1948 BRAKE DRUM REPRODUCTION HUB FIT INSIDE DRUM from http://www.earlyford.com/. Yesterday I went to CW Moss to get swedge-in lug studs. I told him they are the non-USA made drums, which he referred to as Joblot (sp?) or Agentina made drums, he said they are thicker and they don't have any studs long enough to be safe. So I asked if he thought Vintage Ford in Stanton would have them...he didn't think so but he called and they talked about it for a few minutes over the phone...nothing. CWMoss said I may have to have them made.

So today I look back on earlyford and they list lug studs for the USA made ones, but not for the non-USA. I will be calling them Monday to see what to do. I think I may have to send them back and exchange them for the USA made drums and spends the extra $80! You'd think if safe lug studs are not easily available or even available at all...geez at least when I ordered they should have told me that. Hopefully when I call them tomarrow they will have a good answer. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this? Or if somebody is in the market for drums...buy the USA made drums!

2. 28rpu

28rpu

What's the problem? As long as the studs are securely mounted in the hub and the drum pilot is slip fit it's no different that your late model cruiser set up.

3. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

The problem is the lug studs that are available are not long enough to get a safe amount of thread in the lug nut. He said the lug nuts will only go on about halfway...

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Try modern , longer truck studs.

5. Killer

Killer

Come in Sassy pants....

Have hubs that might work.

Need before mentioned too thick drums to confirm.

Over.

6. 28rpu

28rpu

If you have a nice NAPA guy around, he's got a catalog with the stud specs. Find one that will work.

7. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

Sassypants to swamp-ass, come in swamp-ass.

Make up mind!

Bring drums. Take drums home. Bring drums back.

Thinner hubs you may have?

Over where? Under wear? [​IMG]

I posted the fender swap on the Fordbarn and got 2 emails within an hour wanting to swap. Cool.

8. scottrod

scottrod

Try Burbank Auto Parts (818) 842-2900. I went through this same thing and they had a lot of lugs in stock. We just went through them until we found some the right size. Bring a drum with you. They used to be called Semay's Auto Parts when I got mine, but I don't think the place changed too much.
    If you can't get the drums over new brake shoes you'll need to have the shoes arced. They probably didn't tell you that either. If you need that done, try Riley Automotive, also in Burbank.

9. Like the guys say, you can probably find the studs you need at a for-real parts store.

If not, you could drill the hubs out to fit the new studs.

Couple of other options:
    Get racing studs, you may have to saw them to length as they're fairly long. These are available at speed shops and I got a set of press-in ones in the 7/16" size for Camaro disc brakes. The shop where I bought them had a fairly wide variety.

You can also get grade eight bolts with thin hex heads and threads all the way to the head from the aftermarket axle suppliers.
    Drilling and tapping to size will be required, but that's not a big deal.
    The aftermarket axles on my 31 are Dutchman's and they come with the aforementioned studs.
    As a small fwiw - the long studs pictured below - on the 31 with it's steel wheels fit under a 48 Ford style hubcap with no problem.

Attached Files: