Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 FORD REAR BRAKES ON A 9 INCH FORD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1929CDAN, Jun 15, 2015.

1. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Has anybody used 40 ford rear backing plates and drums on a 9 inch ford? If so any luck with it and how did you make them fit? I have ford wire wheels that I have always planned on using but have switch from the banjo rear end to the 9 inch. Any help? Thanks David

2. 28rpu

28rpu

http://www.hotrodworks.com/product/big-bearing-early-ford-brake-housing-ends/

MT has the Lincoln backing plates with the 9" pattern also.

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Always a new twist . Never thought of this one before.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

5. A friend did it on his A in the 90's, it involved welding the center section of a 9" backing plate to the outer section of a '40 backing plate. Lots of measuring, even built a jig to hold the pieces and then welded away........it's still in use today. If I remember he made it a square hole to resist twisting.

6. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Done it used truck rear end 40 drum and used 9 inch backing plates. We had to cut out the backing plate and move it back to get the spacing right, but still kept the modern brakes and ran wire wheels. This was years ago on a friends 29 roadster all his idea.

7. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

If all you want is to run the wires, just get the 5 x 51/2 bolt pattern axles and drums and use the 9" brakes. Then, get the "rings" to ensure the wires mount correctly

falcongeorge and Richie R like this.
  8. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Thats fine if your running solids or any other modern wheel but it will not work with the wires. Looks like Im making backing plates.I will keep you updated. David

9. Avgas

Avgas

Yes, have dine this swap a couple of times, be mindful of the axles you use as its relevant to the step if any that is required in the backing plate to ensure all pieces fit correctly

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying real hard to figure why you would want to adapt inferior/obsolete Lockheed brakes :eek: and vintage Ford wires to a modern 9" rear axle, when all you have to do is keep the Ford banjo?? :) Yes?

Anderson and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Manager

Manager

Interested in how it went if you have got to it yet.?:) I was looking at the Posies catolog the other day and they list 12" lincoln backing plates to suit 9" housing. Be interesting to see how it all lined up but I suppose if you were narrowing the rear end or ordering it new you could make the axle flange to bearing distance to suit.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  12. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

What the hell are you thinking?
    Of course it will work. I have 9" axles & brakes on my 36 Banjo rear on my 32 Ford. I also run wire wheels using the rings (kinda like a piston ring).
    This gives you 11" X 2 1/4 brakes that are already self adjusting.
    Sorry, old thread

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    falcongeorge likes this.
  13. Only thing to add is you will most likely need longer studs, the adaptor support ring on the wires pushes the rim further out from the hub.
    I was really wanting to run wires with F1 front hubs and 9" rear but in the end will be running 40s style rims now.

14. Andy

Andy

FYI, A 1" adapter on a 8" rear works fine with the wires. The smaller drums fit inside the wire wheel centers.