Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Kingpins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HH Derrick, Jan 10, 2009.

1. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I am using a 40 ford straight axel front end on my rod. I need to replace the king pins. I want to use the ones from speedway tat around $40 but I keep seeing that you have to reem or hone some bushings or something. Could someone please explain this to me or tell me if it is a pain in the....... Should I just order the more expensive one or is this really not too hard.

2. yes, the new bushings that you drive into the spindles must be reamed to the correct size AND they must be in alignment to each other. it really isn't a big deal , there are special tools for doing this..i use a Bluepoint expandable reamer my father bought new in 1929. many on here have similar tools , or maybe someone close to you does. if you were close to me i'd say bring them over , we'll do them and you could buy me lunch

there just was a tech on making your own tool ...try a search

or you could take them to a good automotive machine shop and have them done on their wrist pin hone

3. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

order the kit then take it to a machine shop with your spindles and have them fit the kingpins to the spindles

4. 63chevyll

63chevyll

x2, thats what ive done on 80's ford vans also

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

$40.00 or $100.00, they all need reamed :D

6. And.... after you get that front end together remember to grease them !!!!
    Thanks, Mike

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

For the best service and fit, take the spindles, kingpins and new bushings to your nearest automotive or machine shop and have the bushings pressed in and align-honed to fit the kingpins with a thumb press fit. This is far superior to reaming and extends the service life considerably as well as adding a good bit of ease to the steering of the vehicle.
    Be sure the bushings are aligned correctly with the grease ports of the spindles and the grease ports have been cleaned out. Use new zerk fittings or at the least run new grease through them before installing them in the spindle bosses.

8. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

Thanks!!! Hey pasadenahotrod do you have a machine shop in mind. I am from Pasadena and I know the area well. I am in the Clear Lake area now...

Derrick Mauk

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

OFTEN!! This ain't no modern ball joint. Ford recomended 500 mile service on the A's.