Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford front spring on rear ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40hemicpe, Jun 3, 2009.

1. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

does anyone have pics of a 40 ford front spring mounted behind the rear axle on a model a frame would like to see pics of this setup.i heard it drops the car alot without haveing to do a big z in the frame :)

2. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

bump for the night crowd

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Its not gonna work on a model a frame..unless you lengthin the frame....model a is spring over axle

4. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

i know that. but i wanna see how low the car will sit with that setup in the rear and the front with a 4inch dropped axle

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've thought of the same deal, '40 spring over the a axle, and the rear crossmenderwill have to be modified as I see it. Roads are smoother today and that hump in the crossmember isn't needed.

6. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

thanks.but i reaally need to see some pics.

7. This is a 41 spring and its not under a model A but its a picture. might be of some help.

Attached Files:

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I used a '40 front spring on the rear of a Model A Chassis I built a few months ago. It was for a '29 Tudor Sedan...it needed to be lower in the back and still be able to keep the rear seat without a giant kick-up in the way.

You'll need to lengthen the frame somewhere around 8 or 9 inches if I remember correctly. I also kicked the frame up slightly to get it lower. All of this fits inside the Sedan's body subrails with a little trimming. I don't have a pic of the body on the chassis, but the rear has 7.50-16 Firestones, and they are right up against the wheelwell when looking at the profile of the car. Not super low, but it looks good.

Here's some pics of the frame...

Attached Files:

9. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

thanks. finally some good pics. i am building a 29 roadster and dont want the huge kick.and running 16'x6.00 in front and 16'x7.00 in rear car should sit right with this setup.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the photos Bass! Seeing them makes total sence about the chassis being lengthened.

11. Canuck

Canuck

Hey Bass --
    Do you think you will need all that spring pack under the back of a A sedan?

Canuck

12. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Can anyone provide a eye to eye measurment for the spring perch brackets for a '40 Ford spring?

13. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Perch centers on a 40 front axle is 38 1/2"

14. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are you talking about the perch/axle bolt holes in the axle or the measurement from perch eye center to perch eye center on the wishbones?

16. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

Yes, perch eye center to perch eye center. Can anyone provide this measurment. I'm using a '40 front spring on the rear with '36 trailing arms. Need to know how far apart to set the trailing arms.

17. Beau

Beau

Bump! I have searched for photos of a 39 or 40 FRONT spring mounted on the BACK of a Model A frame. Finally, I found it in the depths!

It seems like a nice way to get a low stance with a big 'Z'

Thanks HAMB