Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Ford diff. oil seal leaked

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Aug 18, 2015.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay guys what did I do wrong. Probably hard to see but the center picture was on the outside away from the bearing. that made the sealing edge closer to the backing plate.
    The bottom picture surface was against the bearing making the sealing ring away from the bearing. I'm thinking now that the sealing ring edge needs to be closer to the bearing so it catches more of the race.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the brake cylinder leaking as I pulled the rubber cover away on both ends and they seem to be dry.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thanks Gary

IMG_0368.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg

2. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Not brake fluid! Most definitely out of differential. I don't have a good mental pic but when you clean it up and start to inspect I think the leak path will jump right out at you!

3. 55Brodie

55Brodie

I'm thinking you may be a candidate for a Speedi-sleeve.

4. There are gear oil seals way down inside the axle bells, the seal you have pictured is to keep dust out of the bearing grease, there should be no oil at the hubs at all. The bells have to come off to replace the internal oil seals, unfortunately it is a big job.

5. There is a seal (B-4245) in the axle tube, close to the differential. It's the one that keeps the 90 wt in. The seal in the hub is pretty much to keep the wheel bearing grease in.

Nick beat me to it; typed too slow again.

Pocket Nick likes this.
  6. B-4245 is shown in the right hand drawing near the carrier bearings, hope this helps.

[​IMG]

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Oh wow thanks guys. I need to get out my motor manual and dig into it more.

8. I would also add that once they are changed, do not pick the axle assembly up by the tapered axle shafts if the drums aren't installed, the shafts are held straight and concentric by the brake drum. So without the drums on, the axle shafts can slop around and can cause the seal to get sliced open by the metal part of the new seal, making it so that the rear end will all have to come apart again.

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Okay it looks like I have a bigger job on my hands than I thought. I need to tear it down and do it right. The HAMB came through for me again. Not sure now if I'll take it on myself or pay the price for someone with more experience.
    Thanks Gary

lothiandon1940 likes this.