Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford Deluxe grille question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CharlieLed, Jul 14, 2014.

1. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

I just picked up a 40 Ford Deluxe coupe and the grille that came with the project is showing it's age...chrome is virtually gone and the potmetal is starting to pit. After getting some estimates from local plating shops I have come to the conclusion that buying a new grille is the most economical way to go. I have found three suppliers; Speedway, Vintique, and Bob Drake...the pricing runs from $399 to $795. Seems like a wide spread in pricing for an item that is advertised the same from each supplier. Can anybody tell me if there is any differences between these grilles other than cost? I would like to believe that there is a cost/quality ratio but these days that assumption is not always correct. Thanks....

2. alchemy

alchemy

I haven't bought a 40 Deluxe grille in repro, but I do know of the quality of these suppliers. I would suppose the Speedway and Vintique grilles to be the cheapest, and are probably the exact same part. The Drake will be the most expensive, and is made by Drake.

I have personally seen many Vintique parts that are not quite perfect examples of the part they are trying to replace. I have personally seen and used Drake parts that ARE exactly like the part they replace. Use this info as you may.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I have many Drake parts on my coupe including standard grill. All are high quality pieces that fit perfectly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

4. I used a Bob Drake 40 DeLuxe grill on my sedan when he first started reproducing them and about 3 years ago I used one on a friends coupe and can assure you they are top shelf quality.

I suspect the Speedway & Vintique re made by the same supplier and more likley than not it is a off shore manufacturer.

Remember the old saying...." The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". HRP

5. Go with the Drake piece. You'll be glad that you did.

6. This one's been on my car for a little over 30 years. Lots of miles and still hanging in there. The chrome is showing it's age, but there are no cracks or warping. It's a Drake piece.

1511351_913583155333838_1328035655733986593_n.jpg

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
    i.rant likes this.
  8. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Thanks for the inputs...this reinforces what I hoped was the case. Drake has free shipping this month and I just placed a large order with them. Looks like I will be spending a bit more.

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Man,that coupe is low,,how does the chin look?,,a few scrapes I bet! HRP

Yeah Danny.....a few. :)

10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

just finishing a frame off on a 40 sedan. have bought from a lot of different suppliers. USE DRAKE ONLY!!!!

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I just installed a new 40 DeLuxe grille from DRAKE and am very pleased.
    High quality and excellent fit. It cost $795 and is well worth it.

12. ............................He scares the hell out of snakes crossing the road!:D

13. billsat

billsat

By coincidence I have one of each. There was a Vintique grill on my car when I bought it and a trunk full of spare parts that included a second grill. According to a friend of mine the one in the trunk is a Drake. Both of them are in bad need of re-chroming, but what sets them apart in my mind is their weight. The Drake is probably twice as heavy as the Vintique, so I'm assuming better metal content and a heftier , sturdier grill.

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The Speedway grille is a Vintique product. which is a poor Chinese reproduction. Every thing from Drake is very high quality, and fits like the orginal. Drake costs more, but the quality is worth every penny