Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford dash in a 32,whos done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rare32, Apr 9, 2008.

1. rare32

rare32

I am planning on fitting a 40 ford dash to my 32 tudor,whos done it before or who has a pic of one already done?
    I have ordered a 'glass one (no too many steel ones avail in my part of the world) and would like to see how other have made it work
    thanks

2. I spent about 4 weekends slapping a glass 40 dash into my glass 32 roadster.
    I welded some horizontal bracing across the bottom and top of the cowl's cage structure, drilled and tapped the braces in about 7 places and bolted it right in.
    I cut out the blank left side and fitted a 40 deluxe instrument cluster.
    Cut out the center and fitted a Drakes chrome speaker grill.
    Drake supplied all the chrome bits of trim.
    Looks pissah!
    I dont know yet how to move my pictures out of Canon Zoom Browser and onto the HAMB but I'll figure something out to post them on the HAMB or maybe I could just email the pics to you.
    Even for a bumbling fool like myself, it wasnt too tough to fabricate.
    Just took a lot of trial and error.
    Made it easy that the glass dash came already narrowed. I bought the dash from New Age Motorsports in Ct.
    If I was to do it again.......I'd buy me a steel dash with all the cut outs already in place from Drakes and shorten the ends, then pop that one into the roadster.
    Doing the cut outs was a bitch!
    Sectioning off the end is simple in a steel dash.

Jim

3. 32rustedinpiece

32rustedinpiece

I Put A Steel One In My 32 I Did Last Year. It Doesnt Really Take Much Fabrication, Take A Couple Of Inches Out, And Round The Corners.

Attached Files:

4. Here's one... fitted with SW gauges.
    [​IMG]

5. rare32

rare32

much appreciated guys, I figured it would need to be sectioned just wasnt sure on the profile along the top. I am going to use a Drakes grill and a Deco Gauge fascia with classic instruments gauges.
    Gotta remember that I am in Australia so this is all going to be right hand drive too!

6. This was a very popular modification in the early days. Literally thousands were done.

S.F. likes this.
  7. Remember the Drakes speaker grille is left hand drive only and they're not symetrical.

8. rare32

rare32

I am aware of that also, a little modification will see make it work, its is a hot rod after all ;-)

9. It would be nice to see some 40 dashboard pictures from everyone who's swapped one in.
    I also like the looks of a sectioned 60 Chevy Impala dash or a mid 50's Oldsmobile dash in a deuce.
    Anyone tried an early 60's Chrysler dash yet? That big glass globe and the type- writter shifter are bitchin'.
    Those have some serious attitude!

10. LowA100

LowA100

just did a '39 in mine

11. reefer

reefer

[​IMG]

heres a picture of one i fitted into my old roadster.I did not cut it apart from a little reshaping around the two outer edges....I even mamaged to use the chrome strips over the welded up ash trays.I never understood why people section a piece out of the middle, it really did`nt need it.I made a new glove box lid and hinge,,they too are pretty scarce around here, and I fitted the innards out of a set of stewert warner guages into the rear of the instrument cluster and fitted squared off filler pieces to the top of the dial facias to match the originals..the speedo was cleaned and painted white and I put the numbers on via letraset from an art shop...the tripometer was f**ked so I wound it around to read 01932.It is a good mod to fit the `40 dash into a deuce and I`ve got another hanging in the garage waiting it`s turn.

12. F&J

F&J

I couldn't find a 32 dash but I had a 40 dash. I really need an installed dash to set my 40 column and box up, to keep going.

So, I'd like to know how much of the 40 dash top edge should be trimmed off ? (where the 40 V windshield shape is) ...or just wing it, and trim until it lays flat? It almost looks like the radio delete plate will be in the way of the cut? I just tried holding it in place today to see.

Any more pics of a closed car 32 with the 40 dash?

Any help would be good, even if you don't have build pics. thanks

13. mj40's

mj40's

14. F&J

F&J

Thanks mj40; I used the pic of yours in post #50 to get the scale of where to trim it. I've trimmed the top, and ready to sandblast it..then I'll start the corner mods which look easy. Nice pics on your thread. :cool: