Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford dash guage cluster, dont like mine!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, May 28, 2013.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I love my 40 sedan that I bought last year. It was built by Vern Williams in California in the 80s and I feel lucky to have it. I put a new engine in the car this past winter and still have a couple other things I want to do. It is important to me to retain the integrity of the car as Vern built it. But I DO NOT like the VDO billet dash insert and since my speedo quit working I am searching for a change. I much prefer mechanical gauges over electric, but my space is limited in the original cluster hole. If you 40 guys have some pictures of traditional gauge cluster treatments, I would love to see them! Any advice is welcome also. If I have to put less gauges in the cluster to have mechanical units, I am willing to consider that. Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

use an original cluster--either std or dlx converted to 12 volts and a stock converted clock to match-your car appears to be a deluxe. Will look for pics--have put orig converted cluster in 9 40's--look right and work well.

3. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Paul, With that car I wouldn't even consider anything but original gauges,updated of course. I didn't know it had some history,sure is a sweet ride! Normal Norman

4. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I think you are both right, just need info on who to contact.

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Here are a few:D.C. Streetrods
    [​IMG]

Classic Instruments makes several variations based on the original.
    [​IMG]

You can always paint the insert to match the dash and use the VDO guages

6. I'm an original gauge fan, but for your car, I would probably do the originals with a chrome bezel.

7. Here's a deluxe cluster, at Mac's.

[​IMG]
    I know that Speedway sells a chrome bezel for them.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If it were mine I would go towards original looking gauges,I love the looks of a mostly original dash and go by the thinking if I want modern then get a modern car.

9. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

Check out this thread

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676488

10. kscarguy

kscarguy

Dakota Digital...nice but pricey.

[​IMG]

Classic industries...
    [​IMG]

11. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

I agree, an original deluxe instrument cluster, restored and converted to 12 volt would make ol' Vern happy. Sadly, the "go to" guy for this conversion, Lee Kelley of Twin Falls, Idaho is under the weather, so I don't know if he's still doing them. Lee , like Vern, is a lifetime member of Forties Limited Car Club, and he and Vern were close friends when Lee lived in Southern California. Lee did the gauges for me in my 40 coupe and pickup. Maybe Tim (olscrounger) who is always building a '40, knows of someone else?

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

Another Classic Instruments

[​IMG]

13. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

In the 60s we chromed the stock bezel and used blue tinted glass. Back then we were using the stock quages

14. kscarguy

kscarguy

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Im a fan of original standard cluster
    I update them with Temp - oil - fuel gauges from newer large ford trucks.

This is a simple bolt in with zero modifications and looks totally stock with the exception of the temp gauge starts on cold instead of hot.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Corndog thanks for posting this - that is exactly the color scheme I am using for the dash of my 1940 Coca Cola fleet sedan delivery. I was also leaning towards the deco panel from DC Streetrods since I already have the Autometer Antique beige gauges. Just picked up my bitchin 16" steering wheel from Limey Steve today at Limeworks Speed Shop- it rocks and they rule. Going to paint the raised V8 logo red still....

[​IMG]

17. Weasel

Weasel

Here's a dash in your color scheme with the chromed bezel....

[​IMG]

tomkelly88 likes this.
  18. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

wow, I really like that classic instrument one!

19. I am going to mount 2-5/8" SW gauges in a modified standard insert, similar to this aftermarket panel. Planning to use temp and fuel, with idiot lights for oil and volts.

Attached Files:

20. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Me too;)

21. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Lee Kelly is the go to guy,hope he recovers.He did my 40 and i can only say he is the best,and reasonable.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Here's my stock OEM 40 DeLuxe gauge cluster. The Standard cluster with the chrome bezel really looks nice also.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  23. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

here are some clusters Lee Kelly did-converted to 12V and have tiny leds for turn signals-can't see unless they flash--also 2 clocks he converted for me. The std cluster I got from him just before he got sick--great guy. Hard part on std clusters is finding a nice bezel--just sent two to Lodi for rechrome. The clock on the left is one of those repop deals--a very old one though and it's not too bad looking. When looking for orig clusters to redo, try to get SW speedos-waltham speedos can be a problem. I just checked my junk and have 2 dlx clusters done by Lee and one std-also 2 old stds and one old deluxe and 5 clocks he redid--for future stuff I guess-have spoken to Lee several times and he is home and doing better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  24. KKrod

KKrod

Attached Files:

25. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

Here is mine..

Attached Files:

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

i honestly don't even like hte stock 40 gauge set up even if it is chromed. Id do the SW black face gauges in the engine turned insert like shown previously. it gets you your mechanical gauges and it doesn't date your car to the pastel era of street rods.

cool sedan btw ;)

27. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Thats the way I am leaning right now...