Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Coupe Columbia rear end photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grandet23, Mar 10, 2009.

1. grandet23

grandet23

Does anyone offer a manual with photos for the Columbia rear axle on the 40 ford? My car has the rear end assy but Im not sure what else it will take to make it work. I was told it works off of a vacuum source but Im not positive how it works and what additional parts will be needed.
    Thanks in advance Grandet23

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

John Connelly at Columbia Two Speed Parts will probably have everything you need, except perhaps the speedometer adapter. These occasionally show up on eBay, but many are from truck underdrive units. It's the same basic adapter, and can be converted to overdrive use by reversing the internal gears. I had John convert one for me.

Columbias are vacuum controlled, and as originally installed pull the vacuum from a special base plate that is mounted under the stock 2bbl carb. However, any good vacuum source will do. I have a Holley 390 in my '40 Tudor Sedan, and teed off the wiper vacuum hose to power the Columbia.

IMHO, once you get it running, you'll love it.

4. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

two vacuum tubes go from the rear to the front near the steering box. There is a vacuum switch that is controlled by you and the clutch rod. The same knob that connects to the switch also controls the speedometer changer. Not much to the whole thing. There is a drawing available the shows the routing up the side of the car. D&W enterprises used to have everything.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Reproductions of the original parts lists and assembly/installation instructions for the many types of Columbias are available from almost any EarlY Ford parts vendor.