Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford clutch problem with chevy engine clutch not releasing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rfstx1010, Nov 23, 2019.

1. rfstx1010

rfstx1010
    from Bear, DE

I own a 40 Ford Tudor that had a flathead but I wanted a little more power so I installed a Chevy 283 with aluminum bellhousing and a T5 14 spline trans. I have a new clutch and 10.5 clutch but the linkage (Stock) isn't giving me enough throw to release the clutch so I can get it into any gear. I extended the arm about 1 inch thinking this would give me enough pull to release the clutch and bent a rod to connect the clutch fork. Has anyone else had this problem? I've had this trans behind the flathead with no major issues, but this has me stumped. I'm retired and only getting SS and a VA disability, so any fix needs to be inexpensive!

2. I realize this may be a foolish question, but, did on you install the clutch disc with the correct side facing the flywheel?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. F&J

F&J

I have read on here about the trans pilot shaft is too long on certain 5 speeds, maybe s10. I never used any of those 5 speeds, so I could be wrong.
    If that is true, then the input is jambed into the crankshaft pilot hole and can act like what you have said.

4. F&J

F&J

one more thing I read on here... the hub on the disc sometimes sticks out too far at the trans side, and it gets jambed onto the rearmost ending point of the input shaft splines. That would also act like you said, as the disc stays in contact against the flywheel because it cannot slide back.

5. Either the pilot end of the input shaft is too tight in the flywheel or you have the disc installed backwards. Also extending the arm on the clutch fork will indeed give you more leverage but the bearing will not travel as far.

firstinsteele likes this.