Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy13, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Rikster

Rikster

:) Don't get me wrong here. I like the 1939-40 Ford Coupes unchopped as well.
    But its just with some people that say you cannot... must not chop these coupes PERIOD! Because they don't looks good.
    Well I think this thread has proven the opposite.... they can look very good, when carefully designed and planned.
    I don't mind people saying they personally don't care for them chopped. I only thing its ridiculous when they tell others you cannot... should not chop them!.

For those people I think the FordBarn website might be a better alternative!

EVL401 likes this.
  2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Agree with all of this---

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of my favorite 40 Coupes. And neither of these need to be chopped. Right wheels and stance scream Hot Rod. Guess I just like them all. If I had the $$$, I'd have one like these,one chopped with skirts/Custom, one with no hood ( white firewall ,full dress flatty), and a nice "on the ground" 4 dr sedan for formal occasions. (not as bad as the dozen 32's I'd need!) :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And almost forgot... one like Jerry Moorland's old car
    [​IMG]
    And here is one hoodless...perfect!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If its a pick-up that changes everything. Whack away.

6. mj40's

mj40's

Any pictures of the nailhead instillation?

7. Well that would have been good to know at the start!

Just checked and poster # 2 actually asked the question, but th OP has been too busy selling tobacco tins in the classifieds to bother answering.

8. bluestang67

bluestang67

I like the roof line of this model . Though I have a 37 Henry did it right high in back sloping lower in the front . But I do wonder what a small chop would look like , maybe 1 1/2 inches ?

A tail dragger would be ok as with a custom .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chassis is from Fatman. It was ordered with motor mounts for a BB Chevy. Bob was able to utilize the chassis mounts by making a couple of plates that bolted to the Nailhead and stock Chevy mounts bolted to them.
    Bitchin BB firewall provided the clearance needed for the Buick. Motor is box stock out of 1961 ,along with the stock tranny.

[​IMG]

10. hotdamn

hotdamn

39Coupe16-vi.jpg

hamb2-7.jpg

How in the hell has this thread made it 7 pages and no one has posted this car???????????

wake up folks:)

anyways I say f-it, section it too.

and remember guys its not 40's that you dont like chopped, it 40's that are poorly chopped that you dont like.

I feel the same with 53/54 chevy's, I think the majority of them are screwed so I'm trying reeeaaaalllly hard not to mess mine up.

plan, take your time, ask lots of questions to people that have PROVEN to you that they know what in the hell they are talking about, measure 6 times and chop away.

its your car, you could put it on a s-10 frame and paint skullz all over it if you want...

11. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I would absolutely NEVER chop a good 40'.Now if it has roof damage;that's a whole different story.Just my 2 cents worth.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Post #57: Never seen a chopped, unsectioned '40 that wouldnt have looked better if it had been left alone. The only way to carry it off is if you also section it.JMHO.

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s another from the Midwest.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Here's a side profile of my chopped 40 pkp. Don't know how it was done but do know that it does not seem to have had the roof lengthened. At least nobody has found any evidence from the inside.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  15. So all this hubub and the OP has not responded? A year has gone by since starting this thread....Guess he didn't really want to post after the shitstorm........

EDIT: Since I don't know what look the OP was going for....I say NO Chop if it is to be a nose down "street rod" and YES to chopping if it is to be a "taildragger" kustom.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the windshield is not leaned back ( does not appear to be) than somebody did some nice hammer welding. Looks great.

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I've had some of what I consider the best body guys on east coast look at the truck and we're all a bit stumped as to how the truck was chopped 4 inches and the top wasn't stretched. It's a puzzle. Glad you like it. I sure do. I was supposed to fluff the truck up and send it down the road but that chop just grows on ya! Here's a closer look. BTW, it is channeled about 2.5 inches as well.

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  18. CruZer

CruZer

Yes, PLEASE DON'T. It won't make it look any better than it does at stock height.In fact, it probably will ruin it.
    37-41 Ford coupes have got to be the hardest to chop right. I honestly can't say I've ever seen one.

19. fleet-master

fleet-master

....best ever chop on a 40 coupe ...IMO

Attached Files:

20. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

my 40 in texas now

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  21. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

22. fleet-master

fleet-master

...guna try that again..lol

Attached Files:

EVL401 likes this.
  23. fleet-master

fleet-master

I reckon that unless your plannin on wearing a big 'ol Hoss Cartright style hat while yer cruisin...then ANY car stand a good lid-lowerin...

Attached Files:

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DA-YUM!!:eek:
    Now that chop is gorgeous!

Doc.

25. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

My only experience as a top chopper is in 1:25 scale, but one thing i do know is 40 ford are looking good chopped if the windshield post are slanted ! :D

my first one ( unslanted A post )

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

second try (slanted a pillars )

[​IMG]Hosted on Fotki

works better to me :D

i'm currently trying one with less slanted a pillars, and door post keeped

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, Zed that second chop is damn nice!! Cant wait to see the paint you put on it, I dont think you can do a bad one!!

Heres my take.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doc.

27. x100 for a coupe.

28. Rikster

Rikster

Here is an illustration from an original 1940 Ford sales brochure... the coupe sure looks chopped with angled back windshield to me!!! So I guess this was more the way the designer saw the 1940 Ford Coupe, rather than the real car that had a top so high that no man needed to take of his beloved hat.

[​IMG]

EVL401 and Mild Mitch like this.
  29. Pete

Pete

Dammit...now I want a 37 to 40 Ford!

Pete-

30. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too. :rolleyes: