Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '40 Ford CE/Speedway brake & shock kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WisconsinMicko, Oct 10, 2017.

1. WisconsinMicko

WisconsinMicko
    from Wisconsin

'40 Guys-I have been working on installation of the CE '40 Ford shock kit for some time now. I want to share some insights that will make similar jobs easier-maybe. I have a stock '40 axle dropped 3-4 inches, (this apparently narrows the axles) stock spindles with the the Speedway brake kit that widens the tread width 3/4inch per side. Upon putting in the CE shock kit, the shock-shackle mount rubed on the wheel, which has a 6 inch width, 4 inch back space, and a 185 tire. Enough to where it would ruin the tire in a short time, not to mention the turning radius increased so much it was hard to turn the car around. I removed the CE shackle/shock part and replaced it with a P&J's '35 Ford shackle. The shock mounts directly off the front of the spring shackle hole giving about 1 - 11/2inch better clearance. The Speedway caliper mount does not have a notch for the stock Ford kingpin lock nut, which doubles as a turning radius limiter as it rest against the back of the spindle. The mount has to be notched to clear the kingpin lock. This appears to have returned the turning radius to normal although it looks like with the GM power steering box I have it is possible to over turn the wheel so much where it might contact the inner wheel and tire. I also drilled a third hole in the CE upper shock mount (11/4 inch lower) to better center the shock stroke. If you read the CE instructions, and you must, there are dimensions given from which to determine axle height to frame and the size of the correct snubber to use to stop potential bottoming out of the shock and ruining it. If anyone wants to see photos email me and I'll send them. WisconsinMicko, NSRA, MSRA, Fat Fendered Flyers.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Are you sure you got the right Chassis Engeneering Inc. tube shock Kit for a 40? Mine has like 6" of clearance between the wheel/tire and lower Shock/shackle mount. Mine has a 5" wheel with 3" backspacing but there is plenty of room.
    IMG_3909.JPG

3. WisconsinMicko

WisconsinMicko
    from Wisconsin

Definitely, I took it off another '40 I have. I am sure that a narrower wheel, with a one inch less back space gives the dimensions you have. Are you using a disc brake kit, and does it limit the kingpin lock from setting the turning radius? Many thanks WisconsinMicko

Attached Files:

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I cant tell what all is different on yours, but my lower shock mount is nothing like yours. My shock is almost vertical and my spring appears to be shorter? Do you have split bones? Also, the long lock pin nut that's hitting the caliper mount can be switched to a standard length nut to gain clearance. I had to do that on mine as well.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Pics of mine

Attached Files: