Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford box = cross steer Deuce?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mustangsix, Aug 3, 2007.

1. mustangsix

mustangsix

Thinking of implementing a traditional cross steer on a deuce. Did a lot of searching today, found some bits of info, but still have a couple of questions:

1. Other than age, is there any real engineering reason to use a Vega box vs. a 37-48 Ford steering box in a cross steer application. The Ford box is faster, mounts in a similar fashion, and is not hard to find.

2. If you cut the shaft so that you can reposition the box, is the hollow shaft a problem if you were to mill it for DD u-joints?

3. Anyone got any good pics of a mounted 37-48 Ford box in a Model A or Deuce?

4. Any other ideas or suggestions?

2. 1. Seems ok to me if the Ford box is in good shape.

2. I'm pretty sure you'd either hit 'air' or be very close if you milled the shaft for Double D - I wouldn't.
    Cutting a new spline should work if the Ford shaft is big enough in the OD dept.

3. No pics.

4. Take a look at some of the other Saginaw offerings.
    Borgeson I think it is has a bunch of pics of Saginaw's - and others - that could be usable.

Don't sweat the Vega 5/8" x 36 spline pattern on the sector shaft.
    The stock GM 3/4" OD steering shaft is cut to 5/8" OD up near the steering wheel anyway.
    Both Borgeson and Flaming River make a 5/8" x 36 to Double D U-joint.
    As well as a 3/4" x 36 to Double D.

Didja know that a Double D bra is an exact fit to a pair of Dietz headlight buckets on the back side?
    A strange coincidence methinks.

Perhaps Mr. Dietz had a well endowed girl friend....

3. McKee

McKee

I'm curious how you came to discover that little titbit of information,

Ken Gross's Deuce has a 40' box in it.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Scene at the Dietz factory, circa 1939: Mr. Dietz, age 87, comes in with his fourth wife... "Flossie, this is Edgar, our die maker. That over there is called a caliper. Just sit here, Edgar needs to...ah...interview you about our new product line. Edgar, if I hear screaming I'll be back in with a crowbar, you hear?"...

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bruce, too funny..........................so............ did he come back with the crowbar?:rolleyes: :D

Frank