Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford 289 Holley 600 fuel pump question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 Ford Tudor, Dec 26, 2013.

1. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

New to Fords and Holley carbs as I was into old VWs for years.

The stock style Carter pump is leaking a bit as it just rubs the cross member.
    I have been looking for an after market pump that is compatible with the Holley 600 (6psi, gph unkown). Should I get the shorter Holley pump and use a fuel regulator or does anyone have a suggestion as to a better solution.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Tim

2. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

To clarify a bit, would an 80 gph or 100 gph pump be a problem and cause flooding or would the float in the carb be able to control the higher gph flow ?

3. indyjps

indyjps

Pressure regulator is a good idea, either way, they're not too expensive. Why such a high volume pump in the first place? a mild upgraded aftermarket mechanical pump will take care of what you need.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The Holley pump can make 6 psi or better fuel pressure if your Holley carb has adjustable floats with a sight plug a simple adjustment and you are good,the new series 80457 Holley 600 CFM which has the new non-adjustable bowls should be regulated at 5 -6 psi.Edelbrock/AFB's are at 4-5 psi.

5. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

Clearance is the problem. I will try and post a photo in a bit. I just got the car last august and was at a stop light and it died. Finally figured out there was a hole chafed in the fuel line. Shortly after I started smelling fuel and found the fuel pump (stock 289 carter style was rubbing when the engine rocked a bit. That's my theory anyway as it is awfully close. So I started to look at after market fuel pumps for a shorter version that would clear the frame. Those pumps are 80 gph and 110 gph. I am scratching my head hoping that you guys might know of a cure short of notching the frame.

Thanks for your replies, any and all input helps !

6. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]The first is what I have now and leaks at the seams. The second and third are some I was looking at. Guess I need to find the shorter style with less flow than 80 or 110 gph.

7. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I saw this thread and who it was by and said "aw shit"---I thought alzheimers had set in. I'll get over it.

8. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

Sorry about that 40fordtudor. I am trying to figure out something that should be simple but is confusing me.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014