Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 DeSoto at Paso

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seldom scene, May 28, 2007.

1. seldom scene

seldom scene

I was giving that beautiful 40 DeSoto coupe the looking over and was just in awe of the quality of workmanship and good taste done on that car.
    I said to the guy standing next to me [ I don't know him] isn't that the most beautiful car here?
    He said yeah but it's not real. I said not real? He said" see where these fenders meet the other parts, if it was real they would be all seperate pieces, this car is fiberglass thats why it's so smooth."
    I wanted to tell him that that is the result of hundreds of hours of custom body work, filling and sanding. Thats what makes a custom, but then I remembered a wise man telling me " you can't educate a fool ". I walked away, came back later to further appreciate it with my mouth shut.

2. =mike=

=mike=

no shit . . .

3. eric

eric

what a DORK!!! cars beautiful....
    [​IMG]

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

dude must have one of those "street beast" 34 fords in his garage. the man knows a fake when he sees one.

5. A magnet would settle the debate.

6. seldom scene

seldom scene

There wasn't any debate, I walked away! it takes a fool to mess with a fool.

7. I think sticking a magnet on that car would get you quite a bit more than a debate.

8. George

George

How could you miss seeing those thousands of 'glass DeSotos?:rolleyes:

9. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

If I owned it, I'd have somebody"s ass for checking with a magnet. I've seen yahoos before leave a nice little flaw doing that. What was he running in the DeSoto?

10. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Paul's DeSoto was beautiful when it was in black primer, but it looks absolutely stunning in that red paint.

If he ever decides to sell it, I wonder what it would go for...

I guess I better start countiing my pennies. Haha! :D

11. sled

sled

Cepeda's de soto is one of my favorites EVER...hope 1 of these days to see it in reality....great vision,LOVE IT....

agree that in pprimer was great but painted is a KILLER

12. sololobo

sololobo

Take a kid to a car show!!! Then they won't grow up that misinformed. Cool and only way to deal with the poser. Rock on fab Desoto!!-Sololobo

13. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

And even IF it would be fiberglass....damn, it's a cool ride, who cares? It depends on what you're doing with it..........

14. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Another of Paul's rides.:cool:
    This one must be plastic too!!!

Attached Files:

15. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Oh wow, that stude is probably my favorite pickup ever built

16. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

That car is the car that got me into kustoms. it was in the r&c artical about Billetproof like 6 or 7 years ago. it was in red oxide primer and the caption was "flow" Im building a 41 Plymouth right now because of that car. If any one has more info on it like how much was taken out the top and some build pics of the extended quaters and trunk i would love to see em.

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Paul Cepeda is a fuckin genius.If someone told me that two of my favorite customs would be a Stude pick up and a ......41 DeSoto ,I would have told them otherwise.

18. HotRodDaddy-O

HotRodDaddy-O

It's GLASS?! KOOL.

WHERE CAN I GET ONE?!

Don't you know that EVERYONE is a fucking authority?

A couple years ago (at Paso) I walked up on some dude telling his buddy my '36 3/w was glass. He was feeling the body and telling his friend "See, feel this, it's fiberglass". Hahaha....
    Of course I showed him it was steel. I see him at shows now and then and we still laugh about it.

That DeSoto is one of those cars that is SO nice I'd be scared to drive it. It's a beauty all right. Perfect color too.

:D

19. chad

chad

Does anyone have any more pics of this car...Its beautiful.......

20. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Thats my friend Pauls car. Its all steel. He also had that 32 ford 5 window that was shopped 7 inchesand flat black. That DeSoto was his back-up cuase the 35 Plymoth he had at Back to the Beach was hit in front of his house the night before. All that man does is body work and paint....And hes damn good at it...sometimes I think hes sniffed too much Bondo dust, but....fine craftsman.

21. hankcash

hankcash

I shot this one.
    That car is so glossy, it's hard to not get reflections of someones white sneakers in the shot...

hc

Attached Files:

22. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

That may have been Paulie screwing with you, he's a magician, and a Kustom crazy historian at that. I've known Paul Cepeda for many years, and I consider him a dear friend. That is a steel car for the dummies out there, I remember when he was contimplating the skirtless design of the rear, it sounded crazy, like whats going to happen to you when you blow a tire???, but he figured out a way to get around those issues by planning it out and going for it. He's a champ, and not affraid to try anything. Plus, he's funny, he'll tell you straight to your face that your car sucks! No beating around the bush...thats what I admire.
    Max

23. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I have been collecting Desoto's for almost 25 years now and if someone told me one was fake and that it was glass I would laugh in thier face!
    If there are any glass Desoto parts then someone made them, and that took some talent!

The only Fiberglass Desoto I know of is this one!
    [​IMG]
    And I happen to own one of them!

Unlike a lot of Desoto collectors I like seeing nice quality Desoto rods being built!

Tell me this would not make a great looking ride?
    [​IMG]

24. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Nice! I used to have a really nice '31 Desoto coupe that I sold. Boy, do I ever regret doing that. :(

25. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

You mean you used to have one of these and you let it go?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is a shame!

26. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Yeah. Here she is. Totally original and un-molested. I'm tearing up as we speak. :( :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

So could some of you guys that know Pual ask him some specs on the chop?

28. kustomkat

kustomkat

Yeah, that car did come out very nice. I'll see if i can't get some info on it for you...

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great car. 51Gringo, how DOES he change a rear tire? I've wondered about that since the first time I saw the car.

I can only imagine that he drops the whole rear end out of the car -- or is he trickier than that?

30. macs55

macs55

I remember hearing something about scissor lift hydraulics or something like that. I'm sure someone on here knows something.