Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Chevy sedan frame help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by runningiron, Aug 12, 2008.

1. I've got a 40 Chevy sedan and I'm replacing the stock frame that had been butchered with a Camaro subframe. Anyone have the dimensions or know where I can look for dimensions or schematic of a stock 40 Chevy sedan? I found a stock top hat Chevy frame that supposedly came out of a 40 Chevy coupe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Runningiron

2. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

All I can add is that all chevy car frames are nearly identical from 40 all the way thru early 50s with - amazingly - very little change during all that time and all the different vehicles. So if you found a coupe frame, it more than likely would work for your sedan.

My friend's 54 Chevy frame is almost identical to my 40 chevy coupe (certainly close enough to make it work with little modificating).

3. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

Are the 1939 GM frames the same? If so my 39 Pontiac has a nova clip I could send pics. PM me if needed.

4. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Ditto. All 1940 Chevy passenger car frames are the same, coupe, 2-door, 4-door, etc. Front suspension was different in I-beam or IFS depending upon model, (master 85, master deluxe, special deluxe). Gas tanks on all sedans mounted at the rear of the frame, below the trunk, behind the differential. Coupe gas tanks either mounted inside on a business coupe (where the rear lower seat cushion would be), or same as sedans if it were a 5 passenger coupe and had a rear seat. If you can find a 1940 shop manual, they have simple diagrams of the frames. Don't know if lists dimensions or not but I think they do. Hope that helps.

5. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Also, if you need certain measurements let me know what you need. I have a bare frame sitting out back, but it's got a MII front crossmember installed.

6. Thanks, I appreciate the info.

7. toddc

toddc

Unfortunately no. I bought a 39 Poncho thinking it would have the same frame as a 39 Chev. $500 worth of towing later I found out that they are totally different.

This is a really good site for old Chev info:).
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/3932.htm

8. jp52

jp52

Do you know what the differences are? Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have a 1940 sedan that needs a frame and found a 1948 nearby with everything I need.